What Foam Insert to Use Inside Garment After Lipo to Prevent Dents?

I'm almost 2 months post-op & have worn my garment on & off for circulation reasons plus other reasons. I'm still very swollen & would like to continue to wear my garment as it gives me support & sense of "not blowing up". However, it wrinkles at waist & creates a mark/dent that it's starting to look like it's not going away. I read about foam inserts that can protect the skin from marks and help with swelling. Which ones are they? What brand? Is it safe to wear this far post op? Thanks!

Continue compression after liposuction

+5

If you remain swollen after liposuction which can be typical even 2 months out, I would continue compression.  You might continue going down a grade in compression and the garment might fit better.  I use Marena compression garments and they make a "stage II" garment that is still more compressive than Spanx but might contour better.  You can try to adjust the pressure using foam.  3M makes a Reston foam that you could use for that purpose although I would check with your plastic surgeon first.  At 2 months out, it should be safe.  In the immediate period following liposuction, I like to avoid any foam compression to avoid that high grade compression that might even blister the skin or cause other skin injury.  I don't think the foam will make your swelling resolve any faster but it might help adjusting the garment. 

+1

Your surgeon can likely provide you with the foam he uses, it is called Reston Foam

Julio Garcia, MD

Compression Two Months after Liposuction

+1

Seldom do I hear of liposuction swelling two months after treatment. Most of our patients advance from their prescription garment to one like Spanx within three to five days after lipo. At this point it is helpful for a month or so but after that it is just really a girdle.

Regarding a insert to prevent ridges, I know it is used a lot but Reston Foam has been reported to cause some problems after liposuction so this I would avoid.

See your doc if you have any questions. I am sure he/she would like to see you.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon