Flying to 3 Different Countries for Different Procedures?

planning few PS procedures by different doctors in 3 different countries 2 weeks apart. is there anythign wrong with this senario? first going to DR for Full Lipo/BBL under general anesthesia, then flying to korea for mandible reduction and rhinoplasty under general anesthesia, then 2 weeks later fly to US for breast revision/internal bra to fix 2 months unsuccessful bottomed out implants. plz advice

Not recommended at all!

+4

There's no safe way to perform all these procedures in that time spam. It will mean serious risk and no patient should go under that kind of journey.

Medical Tourism not recommended

+1

WOW! What a recipe for disaster. Your risk for having a major post operative complication such as Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is so high that you will need to be on blood thinners post op that could lead to major hemorrhage and blood loss with the next surgeries. No reasonable plastic surgeon would OK this triad of almost certain problems. Re think this sequence of events and maybe have one procedure performed at a time separated by a much longer recovery period.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Country jumping for different cosmetic operations is treacherous.

+1

He described three considerable operations to be performed in three separate countries. I think this is extremely unwise. There are excellent surgeons in one city in the United States that can take care of your aesthetic needs to be available to deal with any complications.

Don't do it

+1

You are setting yourself up for problems and complications. There is no scenario that should require 3 different doctors, let alone 3 different continents. 

Robert J. Schwartz, M.D.

Safety of Medical Tourism in Multiple Countries

+1

Safety should always be the primary concern. Combining multiple surgeries in a short period of time under general anesthesia coupled with extensive airplane travel is a recipe for disaster. I would question the medical judgment of the surgeons who agree to proceed with this schedule of procedures.

Having surgery in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals in Asia varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country. There are major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If  complications develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Multiple tandem surgical procedures

+1

Seems that you have done lots of homework on who you feel will meet your needs.  My concerns for anyone with such an ambitions schedule are : who will do your follow-up care and deep vein thrombosis(DVT)/ pulmonary embolus risk.  I would recommend that you get a recommendation from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area BEFORE you begin your planned adventure and address these issues. Warmest regards

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism

+1

Hello there 

The two most obvious problems you are likely to face are the risk of blood clots from travelling so far so soon after surgery , and inadequate follow-up of your procedures from being at a distance . This means complications may develop and become major when closer observation may have nipped them in the bud .

Frankly I think what you are doing is madness 

Terrence Scamp 

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

International travel for plastic surgery, is it a good idea?

+1

I will only answer briefly to echo the concerns posted by other plastic surgeons. There are far more reasons not to do this, especially to 3 different countries, than the decreased costs. I'm not sure where you are located but my guess would be there are fully qualified board-certified plastic surgeons close enough to you to care for you before, during and as you recover from surgery.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Multiple surgeons, multiple countries not a good idea

+1

So many procedures a few weeks apart and with international travel is risky. Another issue is who is going to do the follow-up care for each of these operations? Save your money and find someone qualified closer to home.

Richard Baxter, MD

Surgeon Shopping

+1

I always ask myself " if this were my wife or sister, would I do this"? The answer is of course not. You don't have to research the world and travel to multiple countries to find great plastic surgeons. Stay close to home for long term follow-up even if you choose multiple surgeons. Make certain you recover adequately from one surgery before having another. There are too many risks in what you are planning.

George Weston, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon