Safe to Fly a Week and a Half After Breast Augmentation?

I plan on flying (4 1\2 hours) a week and a half after getting Breast Implants (under the muscle). How safe is this?

Flying after breast augmentation surgery

+2

In New York City, we often have patients from out of the area who come here for surgery. In general, I ask that they stay for 7 to 10 days, at which time it is acceptable for them to fly home.

The cabins on airplanes are pressurized and I do not see flying as an issue. On a 4 and 1/2 hour flight, I would recommend that anyone, regardless of surgery, get up and walk every hour or so to prevent pooling of the blood in the legs.

No strenuous activity for 2 to 3 weeks.

Flying after breast augmentation

+2

I ususally ask my patients to avoid flying for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks the chance of bleeding is less. If there is post operative bleeding you want to be neer your surgeon to get immediate attention.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Flying a week and a half after breast augmentation

+2

IT is generally safe if your procedure was uneventful. Be cautious with lifting any luggage as this may put undue strainon the muscle or wounds. In any event please make your surgeon aware of this as they may have other recommendations or advice.

Flying after breast augmentation

+2

If you have an uneventful recovery then it should be ok to fly. I would recommend being very careful with lifting and using your pecs minimally. Also during such a long flight , I would get up frequently and stretch your legs to avoid blood clots. Make sure you see your Plastic surgeon just before leave to get checked .

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Safe to fly a week and a half after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. Our practice has patients travel from afar. Opinions on travel following a surgical procedure will differ amongst surgeons, and is best to discuss this with your surgeon. In our practice, we ask that you plan to stay for 2-3 days to observe and evaluate the surgical areas as well as your readiness for travel. Depending on which procedure you have, up to a week or so may be necessary. For your procedure and travel, this time frame should be reasonable.

Given your course has been uncomplicated and you are progressing as expected, traveling should be safe.  Ensuring adequate oral intake and mobility is a must and proper postoperative care of the surgical sites and incisions is prudent. An evaluation postoperatively as well as prior to departure is usually done to make sure that all is well for your travel back. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I usally ask people to stay in town for a week to 10 days and I ask them to take an aspirin before they fly as well, I also ask them to wak every hour and to stay well hydrated 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

+1
In terms of aircraft cabin pressure, I would not expect that flying would be problematic 10 days after surgery. My concern would be twofold: 1/in purchasing a ticket before you were able to assess the postoperative recovery and 2/access to a plastic surgeon in the event that you developed a complication. You should try to walk during the flight to reduce the risk of a postoperative embolism and should not lift heavy objects including suitcases.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Flying After Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes,  it should be safe to fly after a breast augmentation procedure assuming you can avoid heavy lifting and ambulate frequently.

Flying after Breast Augmentation

+1

If your recovery is uneventful, I would certainly allow to fly ten days after breast augmentation. I would encourage you to continue post operative muscle stretching exercises and if you have a longer flight get up and stretch your legs every hour or so.

Richard Linderman, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

if no complications occur and you are pain free, traveling should not be a problem after breast augmentation. 

Christopher K. Livingston, MD