Flying Soon After Tummy Tuck & Lipo?

I'm flying to Cancun from Canada to have a tummy tuck and lypo on my thighs on June 1st. I'm flying home on June 9th. Is this safe? Is there an increased risk of clots developing if I fly as planned on these dates? Any advice welcome.

Flying Soon After Tummy Tuck & Lipo

+1

Flying soon after tummy tuck and liposuction increases the likelihood of complications including the probability of blood clots. Ensure your surgeon is aware of your travel plans so he/she can plan the surgery properly and guide you in your postoperative care.

Air Travel

+1
  1. The chief concern of air travel following operative procedures is the increased risk of deep venous thrombosis in the lower legs, which can potentially result in pulmonary embolism.  Abdominoplasty is an operation of greater magnitude than liposuction.  I would think a patient that had liposuction of her waist and torso, could probably fly 2 weeks after surgery without a great deal of concern.  Liposuction of the lower legs would probably require a four week wait.  After a tummy tuck, I think probably a minimum of 4 weeks would be a reasonable time, and of course patients in air travel would need to wear compressive antiembolism stockings on the lower extremities and get up and move around the cabin. 

Michael C. Fasching, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Flying soon after tummy tuck

+1
All reviewers are in agreement. Flying soon after abdominoplasty and thigh liposuction will increase your risks of complications. There are some good surgeons and facilities, however if you opt for traveling to a foreign country for your procedure you must stay long enough for adequate healing. Even without having surgery, a long flight can increase the risk of blood clots in the legs. After a surgery such as this risks would be high for this potentially fatal complication. Traveling soon after surgery increases your risk also of infection, bleeding and seroma

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Flying 8 days after tummy tuck can be risky.

+1

An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is a big procedure that warrants proper planning to allow enough time for your body to heal and to deal with any potential issues, concerns, or complications that may arise.

I would encourage you to put safety and satisfaction above the possibility of saving money by traveling to Mexico for your procedure.  Even the smallest of healing issues can make this gamble not.  

Remus Repta, MD

Remus Repta, MD

Flying 8 days after surgery in foreign country.

+1

There are two issues in your scenario. The first is flying eight days after a tummy tuck and thigh liposuction. This is a set up for DVTs and other complications and is not recommended. The second, more concerning issue is Medical Tourism or having your surgery in a foreign country. You are risking your life and serious health problems that are not worth the risk. It would be a better choice to save your travel money and find a reputable plastic surgeon in your area to perform your procedure. Please reconsider and discuss with your family and medical professionals.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Blood Clots

+1

Tummy tuck and liposuction are known combination to increase the likelihood of blood clots. I would recommend to separate the 2 procedures. If however, you are determined to do it that way, be sure during the flight,  to drink lots of fluids , walk frequently and move your feet while sitting. That will reduce the risk, but there is no guarantee. Good luck.

Dr. Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Not Wise...

+1

I hope that you are aware that the tummy tuck operation is a major operation associated with significant risks/potential  complications, even in the best of  hands and under the best of circumstances. You are taking significant risk with your health, body, and outcome of surgery  presumably for cost savings.

Flying after a tummy tuck

+1

I think you should think twice about having a tummy tuck in a foreign country and then traveling a few days later.  It is not a good idea. If you are considering doing this anyway, you may want to stay about two weeks minimum.  Problems can still happen afterward, but less likely.

Flying 8 days after tummy tuck

+1
Eight days after abdominoplasty with thigh liposuction is too soon to be leaving for home, not just in terms of increased risk for embolism but also because it is insufficient time for recuperation. Complications, including seroma, hematoma and infection can develop and you sholuld not be on a plane or rushing home. I would truly worry about undergoing surgery at the hands of a surgeon who knows that this is your intent and sees nothing problematic with it. Part of surgical skill is recognizing potential complications and being available to deal with them. Medical tourism may be less expensive than undergoing surgery at home, but not if you have a complication and need to be treated for it.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Plastic surgery abroad and safe trave plans

+1

The direct question that you have asked is whether or not it is safe to travel about a week after abdominoplasty and thigh liposuction. For a less intensive surgery like breast augmentation or eyelid surgery, this would not be an issue. But for a combined procedure such as abdominoplasty and moderate volume liposuction, I would strongly advise against. The risk of DVT is extremely low in plastic surgery, but the one procedure that puts you at the highest risk is abdominoplasty combined with liposuction. Often DVTs are seen 5-10 days after surgery, and prolonged immobility is known risk factor. This is not, however, the biggest concern that I would have for you. I would be much more concerned about having surgery abroad and then not having a way to be properly followed for post operative care. If the reason you are considering having a procedure in Cancun is the price point, consider the risk that you are taking. Complications are not supposed to happen, but they do from time to time. If you have a problem, it will be much more expensive to get things fixed than if you were to have the procedure closer to home. There are many great plastic surgeons in Canada. I would find one and minimize your risks and optimize the chances of you being safe and happy.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon