Flying After Botox or Restylane?

I'm coming to florida for 3 weeks and was thinking of having some Botox and Fillers (Restylane) while I was there.  Can I travel by plane immediately after these procedures or is there a 'downtime'?

Hold off on flying in case adjustments are needed

One should wait two working days so that if there is an adjustment with fillers it might be made. The altitude of the flight could affect the swelling potential in the first couple of days. Botox may take more than two weeks to show its full effect, so you may need to return in 3 – 4 weeks for an adjustment.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Just Keep Your Head Inside of the Window

No problem in flying after fillers and Botox, unless you'd like to stick around for a few days so that you can return to your physician if you need a touch up.  Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why go away from home?

Unless you will be back to Florida every 3-5 months, why establish a relationship with a physician when you can do that at home? It would be best for you to locate a local physician with whom you can become acquainted so that you can relate your likes and dislikes to fine tune your results over time.

Injectors have different styles and unless you plan on doing this only one time, I suggest you find a physician/injector closer to home.

I realize that financial reasons (exchange rates, etc) may be one reason but I can't speak to those.

As others have mentioned, your treating physician may work with you for the touch ups but once you return to your home, it would be more diffiucult to find another injector who would be willing to take on another's results.

Facial Filler and Downtime: Flying in an Airplane after the Procedure

Facial fillers are non-invasive procedures associated with minimal immediate risk of bleeding, infection, or bruising. The most important complication profile is based on long term assymetry, deformity including nodules or lumps, and persistent edema.

Although many patients choose to travel immediately after the procedure, it is advisable to maintain a close relationship with your physician in order to avoid unecessary and potentially avoidable complications.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

There is no reason to stay in Florida after injection...

There is no reason to stay in Florida after injection with either Botox or fillers from a medical standpoint. You may want to plan your injections at the start of your trip so that you can give them about a week to work and then be able to return for a touch up if needed.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Go ahead and fly after your filler

I see alot of out of town clients for fillers and there is really no contraindication to flying following treatment.  The only caveat is that I generally like to see my patients a week or so after their treatment.  As such, I make sure they have follow-up when they return to town.

Why travel for Botox and fillers?

There isn't a medical reason you would have to stay even 24 hours. The only reason would be if you have any questions after the treatment and wanted the doctor to evaluate you. There are probably excellent practitioners in your area so the need to travel for fillers and Botox should be uncommon. But if you do decide to do this, maybe make your appointment early during the three weeks so all issues are settled before you return home.

Post-Filler Patient Instructions

There are almost no real limitations following filler treatment with all types of product. Patients are told to avoid very animated facial expressions for a few hours until the filler settles. They are also advised not to exercise or bend down that day, as it may promote bruising from the treatment. Avoiding aspirin containing products is also suggested for the same reason.

In terms of flying, if you travel within 24 hours from the time of injection, the pressure changes may cause a little swelling or discomfort if any small pockets of air are present from the injection. It also may promote bruising due to the same reason. These concerns, in and of themselves ,do not prevent patients from flying on the same day, as the consequences are temporary in nature.

If you wait at least 2-3 days afterwards, then you should have no problem at all.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Flying

There is absolutely no reason why you cannot fly immediately after having Botox or Fillers such as Restylane.  After 3 weeks you can always return for your check-up to see if you need a touch-up of your injections.  Have a great trip!

Flying After Botox or Restylane

As I am not examined you, I will write general terms, There is no down time for Botox and Restylane you can travel as early as the same day.

Jhonny Salomon, MD