Fluorouracil 5-FU Injection? Doctor Referral?

Why is it so hard to find a doctor/derm/ps that offers this for hypertrophic scars? I contemplating on buying it online and injecting it myself because I can't find a doctor/derm/plastic surgeon that does it. Believe me I've asked my derm, PS, google searched, fax, etc.

5 FU for scars

+1

5-FU can be used to treat some scars. However, I have found that the majority of hypertrophic scars are well controlled with the following: 

1. Selective IIT
  2. Pressure treatment
  3. Pulsed Dye Scar Laser

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Treatment for hypertrophic scars

+1

I have been treating hypertrophic scars with 5-FU for over ten years.  It is an off-label (non-FDA approved) indication.  It generally works well and does not cause the atrophy that is often seen with Kenalog.  Injections are more painful than Kenalog.  It is important to make sure that a female is not pregnant prior to injecting 5-FU.  Overall, I find it a very valuable medicine for treatment of hypertrophic scars. 

Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon