Does Fluoride Help to Strengthen the Teeth?

hi all, i've been looking around the internet lately and searching for the benefits of fluoride and i was shocked that there was no real evidence that fluoride is good for the teeth nor for our health? so what do you "dentist" think?

Fluoride = Tooth defense

+1

Fluoride doesn't make teeth stronger. Rather it builds the defenses of teeth to prevent demineralization and de-calcification and inhibit the decay process. When fluoride becomes incorporated into the tooth it acts as a defense to bacteria that are found in plaque and lead to decaying teeth. It prevents tooth decay by preserving tooth enamel and dentin. So Fluoride doesn't strengthen the tooth, but rather acts by building the defense of tooth enamel and dentin to prevent decay.

Long Island Cosmetic Dentist

Does Fluoride Help to Strengthen Teeth?

+1

Fluoride seems to always stir some controversy.

I have practiced nearly twenty five years. I have seen patients who used a lot of fluoride, I've seen some that really went to all extents to avoid it. Here's my summary after seeing it all over decades:

• Yes, Fluoride makes your teeth much stronger and cavity resistant
  • Even with impeccable care at home, you can still get cavities when you avoid all Fluoride.
  • Fluoride is very cost effective and a strong preventive treatment.
  • It is especially important during youth.
  • It is especially important as you age.

I have watched a number of patients who did not want Fluoride. Over many years, I watched them have ongoing problems with their teeth. I watched them get cavities over and over agian. I watched them spend thousands of dollars repairing their teeth. And then, it started over again...

Like many other preventive oriented things a little bit, applied intelligently and consistently stops many problems.

In the real world, the evidence is unmistakable. As with any other health question, ask YOUR dentist what YOU need,

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Fluoride make teeth stronger

+1

Now a days, you can find anything on the internet, but it does not make it true. You can hold a position that fluoride helps,and there are thousands of articles to support this idea, and if you hold the position that it does not, there are thousands of proofs for that too. Reason for such diversity in opinion? simple. No two teeth, no two person are alike.

In a nutshell, Fluoride does help . It is not helpful for everyone. Administering has to be supervised, it has to be for a certain period of time, and most effective when the teeth are forming, and in younger ages less than 25. If ingested even better . It does not hurt to get it every six months no matter how old you are , and it is good to have it in mouth rinses .

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

The Benefit of Flouride on Teeth

+1

Yes it does.  Flouride's anti-decay mechanism is well established.  Decay occurs when bacteria found in dental placque break down sugars and produce acid.  These acids dissolve tooth enamel and dentin below the enamel, by leaching calcium and minerals from the tooth. This is called demineralization, which leads to cavities.  When flouride becomes chemically incorporated in the tooth, it makes enamel more resistant to this process, thus preventing tooth decay.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Does fluoride help?

+1
The major benefit from fluoride is when it is ingested from the water supply or in the form of pills by children while their teeth are forming.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist