Why Is There Fluid Retention in Nose 6 Months Post Rhinoplasty?

I had open Rhinoplasty 6 months ago for raising tip. At first weeks my nose always swelled when I wake up in the morning. At the 4 month this problem has decreased alot and swelling has also gone. Last week my nose started to swell significantly when I wake up in the morning. And this time it stays the same for days ,it doesn't improve like before. I am visiting my surgeon after a week , but I am really worried. What is going on??

Although there may still be swelling it should not be getting worse, see your surgeon

+1

Although at 6 months there may still be swelling, it should not be getting worse as you mention.  Go back to see your surgeon again or get a 2nd opinion.

Nose started swelling 6 months after Rhinoplasty, now what?

+1

Not sure why the nasal tip started swelling more at 6 months post open Rhinoplasty but it's a good idea to follow up with your Rhinoplasty surgeon and ask him/her for recommendations.

Swelling 6 months after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty even at 6 months is common and most individuals still have 15-20% of swelling remaining.  Usually, however, the swelling continues to get better...it usually doesn't get worse.  Infections of the nose are rare though sometimes is a foreign body or implant is placed an infection can occur which can cause persistent and new swelling.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon