How Will I Know Fluid is Present in Capsule After Explantation with No Capsulectomy?

If there is fluid present in capsule will it go away eventually? Should I limit upper body stretching and exercising to allow capsule to heal ?

Fluid in capsule

+2

Usually if there is no implant, the fluid around the capsule resorbs.  Best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Fluid in breast capsule?

+2

This is something that is best left up to your surgeon to determine.  Fluid can accumulate after any surgery, and sometimes appears as an asymmetry, a "boggy" feeling,  or the visible movement of fluid under the skin.  A small amount of fluid can be adequately reabsorbed by your body, but when more fluid accumulates than can be absorbed, it will need to be drained.  Immediately after surgery it is often best to avoid stretching or doing anything that keeps the tissues from healing together, but I recommend that you follow your surgeon's directions regarding instructions.

Michelle Spring, MD

Fluid Accumulation after Removal of Breast Implants?

+2

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to ruling out fluid accumulation in the space that is left after removal of the breast implants. If you were to notice an increase in breast size and/or a “fluid wave” when you palpate the breasts this may be a sign of fluid accumulation. It will be good for you to limit upper body movement for a period of time after the procedure is performed; again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to guiding you.

Best wishes. Hopefully, you'll be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

How Will I Know Fluid is Present in Capsule After Explantation

+2

These questions should also be reviewed with your surgeon. If the size increases,  especially just on one side, suspect fluid collection. Often it will resorb, but if there is enough to notice, aspiration is a better choice. Do limit activities for 10-14 days.   Best wishes.

Fluid build up after implant removal with no capsulectomy

+1

The fluid will eventually be resorbed.  If the capsule is removed it increases the risk of bleeding.  If a silicone gel implant has ruptured then removal of the capsule would be recommended otherwise I would leave it alone unless it was calcified.  If there is distortion of the breast after implant removal may also be a reason to remove the capsule.  The capsule probably never fully gets resorbed and refinements will be there for a long time.  This would not cause a health risk.

Breast Implant Removal Fluid

+1

Thank you for your question. Fluid in the capsule usually goes away in a few weeks after surgery. Fluid should not be in the capsule 6 months after surgery. Have an exam with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation of the fluid issue. I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Fluid after explantation of breast implants

+1

If you are concerned about fluid accumulation you should have your surgeon examine you soon rather than just letting the fluid sit there. If its a small amount, it will likely get absorbed, but if not, it will need to be drained. I usually place drains in after removing breast implants if they are not being replaced to avoid the possibility of fluid accumulating. If your surgeon sutured the capsule closed I would limit significant stretching or exercise for at least a few weeks.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Fluid in Capsule after Implant Removal

+1

There is usually no fluid that collects in this space, because the capsule remains largely intact.  Whatever fluid is there should be minimal.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon if you are concerned.

Breast Implant explantation

+1

From personal experience fluid accu,olation is more frequent than we think if the capsule is not removed.

In all explantation the capsule should be removed.

The fluid will not absorb in most cases and treatment will require surgical re,oval of the capsule.

The diagnosis is made by sonogram or mammogram