Fluid Pocket 2 Weeks Post Liposuction

I had lipo on my outer thighs done 16 days ago and I have a noticeable pocket of fluid that is tender to the touch and warm. I am seeing that seromas need to be drained before infection sets in; do you think that is what I might have. My legs look great otherwise, besides black and blue, but this pocket is extremely noticeable. thanks

Fluid Collection after Liposuction?

+1

The fluid accumulation may be seroma, hematoma or abscess (infection).  You should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon as soon as possible for evaluation and treatment.

Managing Fluid Collections after Liposuction

+1

Fluid collection are not common after liposuction and when they do occur they do not manifest heat, redness and tenderness. Fluid collections should be aspirated (drawn with a needle) to promote adherence of the tissue walls. In your case, your surgeon should probably aspirate the fluid collection and send the fluid for bacteriologic examination and culture. IF this is an infection, it can be readily treated. See your surgeon.

Seroma after liposuction needs to be treated promptly.

+1

Hi.

Of course, I don't know what's wrong after liposuction.  But I would recommend a sonogram to see if fluid needs to be aspirated.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Liposuction

+1
If you have a pocket of warmth and tenderness you should see your surgeon very soon to rule out an infection. Fluid collections can also be a hematoma.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Seromas don't need to be drained

+1

It's not that seromeas need to be drained, but by draining them steriley you prevent a long term seroma from forming that can be harder to treat.  If it is warm and tender, an aspiration and drainage can be done and the fluid sent for culture to make sure there is no infection.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Warm and tender fluid collection following liposuction

+1

This sounds suspicious for a seroma. However, these are rarely warm and tender, I would consider having your physician aspirate and culture the drainage. 

Seroma after Liposuction

+1

Can happen but with good compression garments and limiting the activity, they usually do not occur.  However, if and when they do occur they should be aspirated to allow healing and to allow the skin to adapt and adhere down.

You should be examined by your surgeon.

Farbod Esmailian, MD