Fluid in my Abdomen Post Tummy Tuck?

had a tummy tuck in Mexico by a very reputable surgeon. He was schooled in the US. I am almost 3 weeks post op and just this ? Why is it happening?

Fluid after liposucion

+2

I agree with Dr.Moneer,This is the most frequent complication of liposuction called seroma and the solution is simple.By aspiration.It some times becomes a recurrent phenomena and have to be sucked out every 2 - 3 weeks until settles down.Use of pressure garments help.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Seromas after Tummy Tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. Seromas can be painful and cause a cosmetic deformity, as well as sometimes leak. The whole point of drains is to keep a seroma from happening in the first place. If a drainless procedure was performed, and you had a seroma, or you had drains that were pulled and you subsequently had a seroma, then you should be drained, otherwise a capsule builds around the fluid making it permanent. If a capsule builds around the seroma (pseudo bursa or encapsulated seroma) then the only way to remove the seroma is to surgically open the areas and excise the capsule, and close over drains to prevent another seroma from happening. If the seroma is encapsulated and is tight and painful, then it can be confused with just swelling or fat. An ultrasound is useful in distinguishing these and identifying the extent of the seroma. If the seroma is not yet encapsulated, then it is usually loose and has a 'fluid wave' or water bed type feel. Occasionally, a seroma can also become infected, especially if a permanent braided suture was used. This will have a hot, red appearance, and will eventually open up. I have never seen an infection from sterile aspiration of fluid. If seromas continue despite multiple aspirations over an extended period of time, then you need to start thinking about re-openning the incision and excising the entire capsule, both from and back walls, to treat the seroma. Drains need to be placed, internal sutures placed, possibly using a tissue glue or irritant to encourage the tissues to grow together.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Seroma following tummy tuck

+1

It sounds like you have what is called a seroma which is a collection of healing fluid.  A seroma after a tummy tuck is not necessarily rare, however it should be addressed since it can form a pseudobursa which is essentially thick scar tissue beneath the abdominal fat.  The seroma should be drained and reassessed every few days until it does not collect anymore.  Persistent seroma collection may indicate the presence of contaminated suture material or a pseudobursa which will need to be  addressed surgically.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fluid after tummy tuck

+1

A fluid collection underneath a tummy tuck is a possible complication with the procedure.  A small one my resorb but a large one may require drainage.  See your surgeon for evaluation and treatment.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Fluid in abdomen following tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. I think you need to contact your plastic surgeon about that. It seems to me that you have a seroma ( which is fluid collection under the skin flap). If that is the case then you need to have it aspirated. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD