Fluid Filled Pockets After Eyelid Surgery, When Will It Go Away?

I had upper eyelid surgery 6 days ago and along with the lid swelling have fluid filled pockets under my eyes just above my cheekbones. Is this to be expected and when will they go away.

+1

The swelling after eyelid surgery is variable as is the time to resolution. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Postoperative swelling six days after eyelid surgery is expected.

+1

Without pictures it's impossible to make a completely accurate prediction however six days is very early after blepharoplasty and swelling would be expected.

Swelling Around Eyes

+1

The other physicians are correct stating this is swelling.  The swelling should resolve within 14 days.  You may notice morning puffiness that dissipates by the end of the day.  This will occur over the next 2-3 months.

Dr ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Chemosis after upper eyelid surgery

+1

This condition is known as chemosis and is due to swelling.  The fluid will seek the path of least resistance.  Given time this will resolve spontaneously.  

+1

This is common and should resolve within 2-3 weeks. You can massage to help this along. Try keeping your head elevated as well.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon