Fluid Collection After TRAM Flap Surgery

I had TRAM flap surgery on March 2, and I still need to have fluid drained from my stomach. I had a hematoma in the same area after surgery that had to be repaired. I'm very concerned; how long before something else should be done aside from fluid aspiration?

Seroma treatment

+1

Usually , seromas will "burn out" with repeated aspiration. Sometimes this takes several weeks. If it doesn't work, it can be ablated sometimes with an irritant, or require surgery for removal of the pseudobursa that can develop.

Seroma algorithm

+1

The algorithm for treatment of chronic seromas include:

• Frequent aspiration and compression.
  • Insertion of a drain.
  • Using a sclerosing agent.
  • And lastly, exploration, removal of the seroma cavity (bursa) and drain.

Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

You may need a drain

+1

Sometimes when fluid collections do not respond to repeat aspirations it may be necessary to leave a drain in place. This would be the same type of drain that was most likely present after your TRAM surgery. It the fluid collections do not respond to the drain (they usually do), then a sclerosing agent can be placed through the drain to help close off the cavity. Be patient and this fluid collection will eventually be gone.

David Rankin, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon