Fluid Around Implants 11 Weeks After Breast Augmentation?

I had BA over the muscle last yr. after 5 weeks I developed a seroma and fluid drained from my incisions both sides which didnt stop and 6weeks later the implants were removed. No infection after lots of tests. After 9 months i had another BA over the muscle. Incisionsare ok however ps said theres fluid around the implants and they are softer than they should be at this point-im 11 weeks post op.No pain or redness, will same happen again?He said some people's body rejects implants. I'm scared

Implant rejection is very rare

+1
Hello, Thank you for the question. It's hard to know what exactly is going on but the idea of breast implants being rejected should be at the very bottom of the list of possible diagnosis. I suspect that you had some type of a low grade infection the first time around. The fact that your incisions are intact and healing well is a good sign. Not.much to do at this time other than going forward. It's hard to know if any antibiotics should be taken just in case. Keep a close eye on everything. A ft scan showing a lot of Seroma fluid may require a Seroma cath being placed. All the best, Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Fluid around implant

+1

A seroma is different than a leaking incision and infection.  A seroma can go on to become infected. Some around the breast will resorb on their own. If it does not, it may require drainage.  Keep in close contact with your surgeon. Good luck.

Post Operative Seroma

+1

This is a very good question. It is difficult to give an accurate opinion without conducting an in-person exam. If one suspects a fluid collection around an implant an ultrasound can be obtained to help show not only the fluid but the amount that has accumulated. This would also be a good time to drain the fluid under the guidance of the ultrasound. If it recurs then you would most likely need surgery to drain the fluid and place a temporary drain to avoid the fluid from re-collecting.

At this time the most important thing one can do is to continue to follow up closely with your surgeon as they have the advantage of seeing you in person and therefore can better guide you as to your next course of action.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Fluid Around Implants

+1

Although this finding is troublesome, it is a completely different level of concern compared to the situation where the fluid was draining,and the implants undoubtedly contaminated and destined to become infected and require removal.

It is not impossible, but not likely that you are headed to a repeat of the first surgery and its consequences. At some point a decision will need to be made about leaving the fluid as is or trying to manage it by removal, either with a needle (usually with and ultrasound for guidance) or at surgery. 

Stay in close touch with your surgeon.