Can You Get Fluid Around Your Back Pressing on the Spine from Ruptured Saline Implant?

i have an implant that i think has ruptured does it cause fluid around my back pressing on my spine

Breast implants rupture

+1

It is not likely that you would have an implant rupture and then have fluid around your back. The water usually gets absorbed into the surrounding tissue.

Saline Breast Implant Leak and Spine Concerns?

+1

It may very well be that you have two different “situations” going on. If you have a  saline breast implant leak,  the saline will be be resorbed;  should not be causing any problems around your spinal cord. For any spinal cord related concerns you should be evaluated by a spine specialist.

Best wishes

Ruptured implant

+1

No-the implant fluid cannot migrate to your spine.  It would be absorbed into your bloodstream and excreted.  It sounds as though you need to see both a plastic surgeon about the implant rupture and an orthopedist if you have spinal complaints.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Implant rupture

+1

There is no possibility of the fluid from your implant causing compression around your spine.  The fluid is quickly absorbed into your bloodstream and removed by your kidneys. 

Donald Griffin, MD

Rutpured Saline Breast Implant

+1

If a saline breast implant leaks your body will be able to re-absorb the saline through the implant capsule. There is no reason to think this fluid would migrate around to you back andput pressure on your spine.

Joseph Fata, MD

Ruptured breast implant

+1

This seems highly unlikely.  You should see your plastic surgeon immediately to make sure that this is a breast implant issue and not a spinal issue.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Saline leak

+1

Typically a leaking saline implant is a painless silent event.  Many patients are unaware of a problem until they see themselves in a mirror and see that one breast is smaller  than the other.  Occasionally the shell may fold on itself after it empties out and this may form a point which I have found to cause a bit of discomfort but again usually it is not associated with pain and I have never seen it associated with any discomfort at a distance from the breast.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Saline from leaking implant is absorbed

+1

When the shell of a saline-filled breast implant wears out, it usually gets a small crack through which the saline gradually leaks out.  Usually the body absorbs the saline about as fast as it leaks, and there is no net accumulation, either in the implant pocket or anywhere else.  That is why the breast looks and feels smaller (because it is!), and at the same time the shell beocmes more ripply.

So, don't worry.  There is absolutely no health hazard associated with a leaking saline breast implant.  Go in for an evaluation with your Plastic Surgeon to determine whether you do, indeed, have a deflated implant.  If so, you will probably want to have it replaced.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Can a leaking saline implant leaks saline around the spine.

+1

In my experience when a saline implant ruptures the saltwater is generally absorbed from the pocket that the implants sits in.  I have personally never seen it go anywhere else in my practice.

Fluid or around the spine may have a number of medical causes.  While I think it is unlikely related to your breast implant surgery I would strongly recommend you have a evaluated  as soon as possible.

Best of luck.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon