Fluctuating Rhinoplasty Swelling with Exercise at 9 Months?

I am a 26 year old male who had an open rhinoplasty with both bridge and tip work about 9 months ago. Since the surgery my nose has been incredibly prone to swelling in response heat, posture (just lying down makes it swell), and exercise. I stopped exercise for 8 and1/2 months because it would always make the tip of my nose get really swollen. I started working out again, and the tip of my nose gets swollen during and after every work-out. Should I exercise if it causes all this swelling?

+1

Intermittent Rhinoplasty Swelling – Rhinoplasty swelling with exercise is not uncommon, but this should subside over 6-12 months. If you have any concerns, you should ask your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Working Out 9 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Working out 9 months after rhinoplasty should not affect long term results.  Of course, swelling after working out increases but should decrease by the next workout.

Inconsistent Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after a rhinoplasty is very common, even though it may seem like it is continuing too long. In 10-20% of patients, swelling after one year can be seen. If you are concerned, it’s best to visit your plastic surgeon to have a physical examination performed.

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

I usually tell my patients after an open rhinoplasty that they can expect a rapid reduction in swelling over the first 6 weeks, a more gradual further reduction over the next six months and the final swelling to be out by two years.  It is  common during this period for certain activities such as high salt intake to increase the swelling.

With that in mind, I think that you are not doing any harm to your nose by working out.  In fact I would recommend working out just before your next appointment with your plastic surgeon so that he/she can see the effect this has on your nose and make sure nothing else is going on.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.northtexasplasticsurgery.com/news/can-a-nose-job-melt-5-truths-about-rhinoplasty/

Nose Swelling 9 Months Postop

+1

What you describe is not that unusual for 9 months out from rhinoplasty surgery - especially an open approach. I see situations like this all the time in my practice. I would suggest you be patient and wait upwards of 12-15 months to see how much of the fluctuations change. Happy healing.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of the nasal tip following rhinoplasty surgery

+1

This swelling of your nose could be a natural response to healing.  Bring it to the attention of your plastic surgeon so he can evaluate the problem.  If it is painless and not associated with any form of drainage then it is hard to imagine that there is a major problem occurring here.  

Exercise, swelling and rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling may exacerbate with activity and this may last for a year or more. Sorry for this , but this is the natural healing process for most.