Why Do I Still Have Fluctuating Redness and Swelling After Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty 13 months ago and I still get fluctuating redness and swelling which is mainly in the bottom third of the nose. Even slight exposure to sunlight or warm rooms causes the swelling and redness but they also occur when playing sports, exercising or lying down. My surgeon wasnt sure of the cause and I was referred to an ENT specialist who has given me a steroid spray which has not solved the problem. Nasal drops worked a little but cause problems if used extensively. Please help.

Redness and swelling 13 months after Rhinoplasty, now what?

+1

Something's not right because while swelling can rarely last greater than 13 months, there shouldn't be any redness at this stage.  Redness, after Rhinoplasty or any surgery, is a smoldering inflammation or infection IMHO, until proven otherwise.  Was some sort of nasal grafting material used during your Rhinoplasty?  Goretex has a tendency to become inflammed and or infected for no apparent reason, IMO.  I'd explore these options with your Rhinoplasty surgeon and if a man made graft was used, I'd consider having it removed and replaced with your own ear cartilage if required.  Hope this helps.

Post rhinoplasty swelling and redness

+1
13 months post rhinoplasty swelling should be extremely minimal. Heat and exercise both aggravate the nose and may cause swelling in the post operative phase. You may want to continue sleeping in an elevated position with two or three pillows behind you and watch your sodium intake and see if this helps with your symptoms. I would go in for a follow up appointment and discuss your concerns. As the nose heals the swelling typically reduces from the top to the tip leaving the tip or lower third as you stated as the last area for complete healing. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Redness and swelling normal for nose

+1

The redness and swelling you describe to a degree can be normal after the activities you describe.  It should improve over time and revert back to your normal baseline.  It should continue to improve even after 13 months.  See your surgeon for a follow up is also a good idea.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon