2003 Mentor Silicone Gel Implants Leaking. How Serious?

My dr is out of state-not an option for me to seek his help due to $/I do not have medical insurance Or access to $ at present time/I have not had MRI/CT scan/I am assuming RT implant is Leaking/Went in through arm pits/Upper RT side swollen, painful on top of breast/┬┐How serious do drs take the issue of health risks of a Leaking Implant when $ is an issue?/Do I just live with this pain?/I have yet to seek a dr in dallas texas where I live. Thank you inadvance for advice. RT side never dropped

Leaking implants?

+2

Mentor implant ruptures are usually covered by the company, but until you get a study to evaluate the implant you will not know for sure.  

Your implants may or may not be ruptured or leaking but you need to see a plastic surgeon soon just in case

+2

It is relatively difficult for even an experienced plastic surgeon to diagnose a ruptured implant by physical examination alone. 

The symptoms that you are describing may be associated with rupture but may not necessarily be associated with rupture every time.

The key here is to come up with a diagnosis by seeing a plastic surgeon.  At least try to find a surgeon who is giving complementary (free) consultations and see what he or she has to say.

The implants are usually warrantied by Mentor so this may be something you need to look into. 

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

2003 Mentor Silicone Gel Implants Leaking

+2

I think at this point you do not have a diagnosis. You should see a local plastic surgeon now and find out what is going on. Contact your original surgeon and have his office fax all records to you so you have the necessary info for the new doctor. Most Mentor products have a 10 year warranty that will cover most of your expenses.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Leaking Silicone Implants - Not Diagnosed by Appearance

+1

From your description it is unclear if you have a ruptured implant, infection, capsular contracture or combination of the above.It is important for you to seak medical attention from a qualified board certified plastic surgeon who will send you for a radiological procedure (e.g. ultrasound, mammogram, or MRI). Many offer complementary first visit/exam's - call to find out. You might also consider going through the  Southwestern Medical Center Resident's clinic which may be less expensive.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS