How Often Should I Floss Under a Fixed Dental Bridge for Proper Hygiene?

What are the side effects of not flossing enough or flossing too much?

Water floss as well

+1

I recommend you floss twice a day, brush 3 times a day and use the water floss with some mouthwash in it, try the Waterpick, it is a great option to keep the gums under the bridge clean and free from bacteria.

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Flossing under a bridge.

+1

The simple answer is the more you floss the better. There really is no such thing as too much flossing as long as it's done gently and at the very least once a day. Keep in mind that dental bridges usually last about 7-12 years before about 60% fail due to decay around margins. In this regard a dental implant is easier to keep clean and is therefore the tooth replacement of choice.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Hygiene with dental bridges

+1

As a dental practitioner i always recommend my patients to floss every day and brush at least twice a day. Any sort of porcelain or composite restoration will get caries if not treated with proper hygiene care!! Nothing last forever and maintaining what you have will give you a healthier , brighter smile !

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Flossing Under a Bridge

+1

Flossig under a bridge is just as important, if not moreso than natural teeth. Teeth under a bridge can still get cavities and if this happens, a new entire bridge is required to be made which incurrs good cost.  We instrcut all of our patients how to use a floss threader and provide them with a package of the threaders.  Routine cleanings should be kept so that the hygienist can ensure cleansability is maintained.

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist