How Should the Follow Up Process be After Blepharoplasty? When is it OK to Stop Seeing Your Doc?

Can you explain the after surgery followup with Upper Blepharoplasty? Please include some details like how long after the surgery until the stitches are taken out at the surgeon's office? How long for the next visit after the stitches come out, and so on? And, the time frame (months?) when it is healed and no more doctor visits are needed. I would like to learn the process and timeline. Thank you for your time!!!

Blepharoplasty followup

+1

The surgery takes approximate one hour performed as an outpatient procedure and patients spend another hour in the recovery room. After  their surgery they return in one week for a postoperative check up. We use absorbable sutures so that no sutures need to be removed. Patient's follow up with us  at one week, one month, in 3 months  and in 6 months. Postoperative  photos were done at 6 months. Patient can also come in sooner if they have questions or need our attention at any time  immediate postoperative period.

Follow up post bleph

+1

Once the sutures are out I normally like to see my patients maybe 4-6 weeks and after that only as  needed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Varies between surgeons

+1

Usually sutures are taken out 4-7 days around the eyes. Some surgeons use absorbable sutures that fall out [usually takes a  couple of weeks]

I see my patients at that 5-7 day visit, and don't see them again until 3 months out, unless they have any specific question or concern in which case they can come in sooner [or call me] if needed. At three months, we have a good idea of what our final result will be [in most patients] though improvements can continue for up to a year in terms of the incision scar.

Every surgeon may have their own slightly different protocol.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty follow-up

+1

I will give you my routine and you can use it as a general basis. I prefer to use dissolvable sutures and glue so that they fall off at about 5-7 days. I typically see patients at about that time, again at two weeks and then once more at the one month follow-up. Many of my patients I will see for up to six months until the scar fades away but that is just a personal preference of mine. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1

Usually I see patients back about 4 days after surgery to remove some skin sutures and then at 7 days to remove a pull out suture. Then I see them back at 2 wks and double the time after each visit.

Follow up after blepharoplasty

+1

Every surgeon will have his or her routine for follow-up after surgery.  That said generally, I see all patients the day after the surgery -- this allows me to ensure that they are doing well, and that no issues requiring immediate attention have arisen.  After an upper blepharoplasty, I will remove the stitches five days after surgery.  I will then see my patients 2 weeks after I've removed the stitches, then 6-8 weeks later, then 1 year later unless any issues have occurred requiring a visit sooner.  For most patients, the bruising will resolve about 5-7 days after surgery.  

I would definitely recommend that you discuss your questions with a board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will likely have his/her own follow-up routine.  Also, keep in mind, that if you have any problems, you will likely see your surgeon more frequently.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Upper bleph follow up

+1

There is no set in stone schedule.  The way I generally do it is this.

I see patient and remove sutures before 5th post op day.  See patient weekly for next three weeks.  See patient monthly for 2 to 3 months.  Follow up in a year, and as needed.  If more is needed, I will see more.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Upper eyelid surgery

+1

Dear 779296anon,

• Upper eyelids surgery has a relatively quick recovery
  • Stitches stay in for about 4-5 days, minor bruising can be covered up in about a week to ten days
  • You would see your surgeon for stitch removal, then about a month out
  • After a month, you can see your surgeon as needed, although a yearly follow up is recommended - this is a special type of relationship

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD