Upper Blepharoplasty-Eyelid Lift Resulting in Severe Dry Eyes?

How long should I expect severe dry eyes from upper belepharoplalsty-eyelid lift to last? I am 50 and have never had dry eyes before in my entire life and want to know if this is likely to be permanent? I had my operation about 2.5 months ago. Thank you!

Upper Eyelids and Dry Eyes?

+1

This can happen, but I must say that this occurrence happens very little after upper blepharoplasty.  I suppose that if a substantial muscle strip was taken, blink rate and upper eyelid function may be compromised and cause dry eye.  Hopefully, this will resolve in the next few months.  Artificial tears should be used in the interim.  Pictures and exam would be necessary to determine if there is an obvious anatomic reason.

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

can happen but in my practice, I have not yet appreciated it.  You should certainly protect your eyes with liberal use of lubricants and natural tears.  The cause may need to be further evaluated and managed if something is 'fixable'.  You should be discussing your concerns with your surgeon and if you are at an impasse, get a second opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

Dry eyes post bleph

+1

This is not too common to have sever dry eyes post op.I would suspect you were borderline before surgery.i would give it more time massage the lid and use eyd rops or lubricants till it fades.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Upper Eyelid Surgery Dry Eyes

+1

Eyelid surgery can sometimes result in dry eyes.It usually resolves pretty quickly..Lubricating eye drops can help in the mean time. If the dryness persists, consult with your doctor about other options to keep your eyes lubricated and comfortable.

Michael Horn, MD

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

Temporary dry eyes is common after eyelid surgery but it should not last a long time. You should discuss with your surgeon and consider seeing an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Recommend you see a good cornea specialist.

+1

Upper blepharoplasty can cause permanent dry eye.  The eyelid surgery can weaken the blink mechanism for some patients.  Complicating matters, most eyelids surgeons lack the specialized training, skills and equipment to examine the eye and diagnosis and mange dry eye.  For these reasons, I would not advise you to struggle with your symptoms hoping for resolution over time.  Cornea specialists are fellowship trained ophthalmologist with a subspeciality interest in the surface diseases of the eye.  They can offer you a range of help to increase ocular comfort.  Ask your general ophthalmologist or internist for a referral. 

Dry eye after blepharoplasty

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say it can be related to many different things including lagophthalmos secondary to too much skin removal. 

Post blepharoplasty Dry Eye

+1

As previously mentioned, dry eye is the most common side effect of blepharoplasty, even if the appropriate skin excision was performed. You may have had a case of borderline dry eye, not yet symptomatic, and the blepharoplasty may have been the "straw that broke the camel's back".

In general the symptoms do improve with time as you become accustomed to the  increased exposure to air. However, in a minority of patients [about 5%], need for ocular lubrication may be a long lasting requirement.

I would recommend continued monitoring by your surgeon, and if he/she does not have appropriate expertise, a consultation with an Ophthalmologist or Cornea specialist.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry Eyes After Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1

Dry eye syndrome is a very common side affect after upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  Generally speaking, the condition is time limited, lasting for up to several weeks.  However, in situations where a pre-existing dry eye syndrome was present, the condition can be very severe and last for months or indefinitely.  One of the more common causes of prolonged dry eye syndrome is over-resection of upper eyelid skin.  At this point, frequent use of artificial tears, perhaps with use of a thicker lubricant at night (Refresh PM or even lacrilube) may be indicated.  I recommend that you stay in close contact with your Surgeon, ore perhaps see an Ophthalmologist if indicated.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon