Upper Blepharoplasty and Eyelash Loss?

I had upper blepharoplasty 3.5 months ago My top and bottom lashes have been falling out ever since-more so direclty after the operation Confused why bottom ones would fall out with "upper" blepharopasty. 1 Now I see short ones. Does that mean some are breaking or a sign that some are growing back or both? 2 What type of expert would I go to to to confirm "permanent" loss such as folicle damage? 3 How many months "from the date of the operation" shall I wait to know the full status of things?

Eyelash loss

+1

I cannot explain this problem as eyelash loss should not occur in any routine blepharoplasty surgey. I have not and do not see this in my practice. Possibly some kind of surgical shock loss took place.......I suggest seeing a dermatologist. Good luck.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loss of eyelashes

+1

I have been doing blephs for 33 years and loss of eyelashes is very rare.The surgery should not affect the growth of your eyelashes.I would consider maybe going to a dermatologist if they do not grow back.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Eyelash loss after blepharoplasty is very rare.

+1

Patients will occasionally notice loss of eyelashes after blepharoplasty. As far as I know this is within the normal lifecycle of the hair shaft. The patient's are probably just more aware of the loss because of the recent surgery. Trauma to the hair follicle would be most unusual.

Upper Blepharoplasty and Eyelash Loss

+1

I have personally never seen this or had this reported after upper blepharoplasty.  It would be unusual for the cautery, if used, to be anywhere close to the upper eyelashes and certainly not the lower eyelashes.  Latisse could be considered but only if you are having some growth of the lashes.

Eyelashes falling out

+1

It is very common for a patient to lose some eyelashes after eyelid surgery.  In my experience, they always grow back.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Loss of eyelash hair following a blepharoplasty

+1

Permanent loss of eyelashes would be an unusual problem following blepharoplasty surgery.  I would imagine that given a few months your lashes will start growing out.  Products like Latisse may be beneficial.  

Eyelashes falling out after blepharoplasty

+1

It is unusual for eyelashes to fall out after blepharoplasty but can. Give it time to heal and they probably will grow back.

Upper Blepharoplasty and eyelashes

+1

Hi! Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Speron, a proud member of both the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).  I am also certified with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Loss of eyelashes can happen after any type of eyelid surgery. It can often be due to the trauma in the area of the eyelid even if the eyelashes were not directly touched. In this case, the eyelashes will often come back over time. I’d give your eyelashes 6 months to grow  back. You can also use eyelash products like Latisse to speed the process if you’d like.

If there is permanent eyelash loss, you might be a candidate for micrograft hair transplantation at some point in the future, like we use for burn or trauma patients who have lost their eyelashes. Make sure you follow up with your plastic surgeon.

I have provided a link below for additional information as well as a lot of before and after pictures.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call us at 847.696.9900 for a private consultation.

Best of luck and have a great day!
Regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Eyelash Loss

+1

It would be very unusual for you to loose your eyelashes after blepharoplasty.  I would follow closely with your surgeon to see if there may be another explanation.  In the meantime, you can also talk to them about a Latisse prescription which can significantly enhance your eyelashes and stimulate growth.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

No eyelash loss with eyelid surgery.

+1

Hi.

Not sure what the problem is, but very rare.  See your plastic surgeon and also see an oculoplastic surgeon.  You are seeing the final result.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)