Question About Upper Eyelid Surgery-Blepharoplasty and Permanent Dry Eyes. Thank You!

I am reading alot on upper blephaoplasty and dry eyes. Can a person without dry eyes (never had an issue in my life/now 50 years old) end up with permanent dry eyes after this upper eyelid operation? If it can happen, so I am knowledgeable, what would have had to occur for this to happen/or what would cause this? I know through others how dry eyes are irritating, troublesome, and a nuisance. Thank You!

Yes it is possible, but unlikely.

+2

Dry eye symptoms after blepharoplasty is common, but 95+% of patients suffer from these symptoms temporarily.

Rarely, patients that are borderline dry eye but without symptoms, may tip over to a dry eye state after surgery. As mentioned by Dr. Prendiville in a well written response, a skin only excision is an excellent technique that would maximally preserve your eyelid closure muscles [orbicularis].

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry eyes after eyelid surgery

+1
At your age, I would recommend an evaluation with your ophthalmologist or an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in eyelid surgery before surgery to make sure you don't have any signs and symptoms of dry eyes as you may not be aware. Though dry eyes after eyelid surgery is usually self limiting and improves with time and artificial tears, in rare instances, patients can have significant problems afterwards: if there is weak eyelid closure, or inability to close the eyes, or undiagnosed dry eyes to name a few.
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry Eyes Following Blepharoplasty

+1

A 50 year old who has no symptoms has a low chance of having dry eyes as of right now. There are a host of medical conditions that can have a person develop dry eyes in their lifetime. Some simple tests in the office before your surgery can assess your tear production and help guide you as to whether or not you are at any risk for developing dry eyes in the future. Other surgical technique considerations exist but they are remote problems in experienced hands.

Web reference: http://paulvanekmd.com/facelift-neck-lift-cleveland

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Dry eyes following upper eyelid surgery is a risk of the procedure

+1

Dry eyes following upper eyelid surgery is a risk of the procedure. There are several reasons why this can occur, but some of the more common reasons includ over-resection of the eyelid skin that leads to incomplete closure of the eyelid. Also the eyelid glands will sometimes become less effective at moisturizing the eye after surgery-- this condition usually resolves on its own. Be sure to consult with a specialist in upper eyelid surgery to address all your concerns prior to surgery.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry Eyes after Upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

Dry eye symptoms after upper eyelid surgery are usually self-limited.  I have not seen this after surgery for any longer than about 3 weeks.  However, I usually only remove skin and perhaps the nasal fat pad, if necessary.  I do not remove any of the muscle.

Permanent dry eyes after upper blepharoplasty

+1

There is a very small chance, approximately 2% to 3%, that performing a blepharoplasty can make current dry eyes even drier.  Nobody really knows the mechanism, however, it is thought that removal of the orbicularis oculi muscle contributes to this.  When patients have dry eyes, we never remove a portion of the muscle during the upper blepharoplasty procedure.

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

Patients that undergo eyelid surgery can often have temporary dry eyes or irritation; even patients with no prior history of dry eyes can have such symptoms.  It is important to have a thorough evaluation of your eyes and eyelids prior to any eyelid surgery to assess for risk factors that can place you at an increased risk for temporary or even long-term risk for having dry eyes. 

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry eyes after blepharoplasty

+1

Upper blepharoplasty, if done aggressively, can cause the eyelids not to blink well and the eyes may not close completely, thereby causing dry eyes.  It is important to be evaluated for dry eyes prior to surgery and the surgery be done conservatively by an experienced surgeon (i.e. oculoplastic surgeon).

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/upper-blepharoplasty-eyelid-lift

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dry eyes post bleph

+1

This can occur post op but once the swelling goes down it fades away.soem patients may be borderline dry eye and asymptomatic,get a bleph and now become symptomatic.This has not been my experince.Before your bleph have it checked out.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Dry Eyes with Blepharoplasty

+1

It is rare to get dry eyes from upper eyelid blepharoplasty. It can happen in individuals with pre-existing dry eyes. If too much skin is removed and the patient cannot close the eyes completely then it can certainly happen. The most important thing to do proactively is to get a Schirmer's test done by an Optometrist or preferrably an Ophthalmologist. It measures your tear film (ability to produce tears). If it is normal then you are safe. If it is poor then you need to be aware that even with a well done blepharoplasty you might need to use artificial tears or prescription drops daily after your surgery.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon