Best Procedure to Correct my Uneven Breasts? (photo)

I'm 18 years old. My Dr. wants to do a reduction/lift on the right, with an implant on the left which isnt what I want seeing as I'm overweight and trying to lose some pounds. I'm afraid surgery would be pointless with this approach because once I lose weight, I'm just going to have the same problem. What I wanted to do was make both breasts the same size as the small one and then use the same size implants on each side, but my Dr says "this doesn't make sense". What's the best thing to do?

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Asymmetric breasts are tricky to correct.  As a general rule you want implants on both sides to be very similar in size.  Although it sounds right, placing a larger implant in the smaller breast and a smaller implant in the larger breast does not work.  In my opinion, the breast approach is to reduce the larger breast to the size and shape of the smaller breast and then place implants if desired.  If you are planning to lose weight then I recommend that you lose it before surgery.  Weight loss after surgery will significantly affect both the size and position of your breast, particularly the larger one.  Additional tools that can be used to fine tune the surgery would be either to liposuction the larger breast or transfer fat into the smaller breast.  Please keep in mind that no two breasts match exactly, but much more symmetry can be achieved in your case.

Best Procedure to Correct my Uneven Breasts

+2

I understand your question and the rationale. But by far the best approach is to get down to your desired weight and then have breast surgery. I agree with your surgeon  that it makes little sense to reduce and then enlarge the larger breast. Imagine the situation that you have a nice result on the smaller side and a capsular contracture or infection on the larger side that really did not need an implant. 

How much your breasts will change with weight loss is hard to predict. It depends on numerous factors, including the amount of fat and breast tissue in the breast. The breast tissue won't change much, the fat may or may not. 

Were you to have the surgery that you ask about, there is no certainty  that you would still be even after weight loss. 

Thanks for your question, and for the attached photos. Best wishes.

Reduction and Lift for asymmetry and drooping

+1

The best procedure to correct your breasts would be to reduce the larger breast and lift both at the same time.  If you lose weight, both breasts will lose volume and then you can undergo breast augmentation.  The benefit of weight loss is that your abdomen decreases which will make your breasts look larger.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts

+1

I actually think you have a great plan. I would lose as much weight as possible before any surgical procedure. Then it makes sense to me to reduce the larger side and if needed at the same time lift the left breast. Once breast mounds are where you want them regarding size and nipple position then you may or may not want implants. I see this just like a staged augmentation mastopexy case. First do the mastopexy/reduction for you, then if needed later place implants. Keep it simple. Breast surgery is very tricky and you want to make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon. It is so important!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Uneven breasts

+1

What your plastic surgeon says makes sense.  Why would you remove breast tissue  only to replace it I the form of an implant?  To be sure your case does represent a challenge and can be approached in several ways.  The best way to achieve symmetry would be to lift one side and reduce the other one to match it not using Implants at all.  You should seek a few different opinions and see if anyone can show you a case similar to yours Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Your breast represent quite a challenge.  I think before you do any surgery you need to lose weight as losing weight after the surgery will adversely affect your result.  You will never be completely symmetrical so you have to have realistic expectations. 

In terms of the best procedure - the decision should be made once you have reached your target weight.  Certainly an implant on both sides would make sense but reducing your large side to match your small side may compromise the blood supply to your nipple and areola causing them to die and or lose sensation.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry correction

+1

Dear Haleyanniece

I think you are quite right! The most logical and sensible thing to do is even up your breasts, so you have the same amount of breast tissue on each side, then in the future, should you want a breast augmentation it will be simple to use the same implants on both sides.

A breast reduction on your larger side to even up your breasts is certainly what I would recommend!

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of breasts

+1

First, if you are planning to lose weight, I would wait. Once that is accomplished you have to decide first on volume.  Go to the big one or reduce the large one to  match the smaller?  Or go bigger?  Then a lift/reduction/or implant can be decided for whatever situation.

Best Procedure to Correct my Uneven Breasts?

+1

I think your plan makes more sense than what the surgeon is suggesting. I do not think an implant in one breast is a good solution...the shape of an implanted breast is always different, somewhat rounder with more upper pole fullness than you see in a breast without an implant, even if that non-implanted breast has been lifted.  In my opinion, the best approach would be to reduce and lift the larger right breast to match the smaller left breast.  If you want the left breast lifted or the nipple higher, you can have that done at the same time.  You could proceed with your weight loss prior to this surgery (that would take THAT variable out of the equation), or not if you are more anxious to make your breasts match sooner than that.  I would definitely suggest you completing your weight loss prior to breast implant placement should you decide that you want implants.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Best procedure to correct uneven breasts

+1

Thank you for the photos. Since you are planning to loose some weight, I would wait with any surgery. Once you reach your goal, and are able to maintain it, I would suggest a reduction/ lift on the larger side and a lift on the smaller side. This can be done via a short scar technique. This procedure will make your breasts more symmetrical and will give you much better shape than you have now. Remember, they are sisters and not twins. Some asymmetry will always persists. You might want to look into nutritional counselling, because what is important is how to maintain your new weight after your weight loss.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon