Having Problem with my Swelling After 8 Months of my TT? (photo)

Hi Dr. I just will like to know if it is normal that after 8 months of my abdominaplasty I have not seeing my stomach swelling going down at all I look like I am 8 months pregnant, please Dr tell me why? O and also my stomach still hard as a rock, I looked worse than before that surgery

Your intraabdominal fat

+1

which is the fat inside your abdomen, is keeping you from having a flat contour.  I point this out to patients prior to surgery so that they understand that the tummy tuck will not flatten them out.  Only weight loss will do that. The easiest way to see if your fat is on the inside or the outside is to lie flat.  If your abdomen does not flatten, or hollow out, then your fat is on the inside, under the muscle, where the surgery and liposuction cannot get to it.I am sorry for your disappointment, have you spoken to your surgeon about your weight at all? Perhaps he or she can help you lose the weight to achieve a more ideal outcome.  Good luck

Having Problem with my Swelling After 8 Months of my TT?

+1

Over the internet we can not truly tell what is happening with you. But it is not the usual for sure. Please obtain a few second opinions in person///

+1

You may have a combination of fat above the fascia and much fat in the abdominal cavity. You can liposuction the fat outside the fascia but not inside. I doubt you will ever have a flat stomach unless you lost a lot of weight.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Possibly not a good candidate for an abdominoplasty in the first place need to lose weight

+1

It is possible that you were not a good candidate.  It appear that  most of your abdominal bulge is intra-abdominal fat.  The only way for you to get any improvement is diet and exercise.  The good news is if you lose 40 pounds you will see a massive improvement in your abdominal shape.  

+1

Thanks for your question.

Without some before photos to compare it is hard to comment on the current photos and whether or not there was less improvement than could have been expected. 

There are limitations to what can be accomplished with a TT. Excess skin and fat can be removed, and some tightening of the abdominal wall (muscle repair) can be done. However, nothing can be done about the volume of the abdominal cavity. It too tight a muscle repair is done, there may be so much compression of the intestinal contents that the blood supply is diminished, and this can have catastrophic consequences.

Please consider posting some before pictures. Also, set up an appointment with your surgeon to discuss the outcome. All the best. 

Intra-abdominal fat can preclude a flat abdomen with abdominoplasty.

+1

From the photograph I can't make a diagnosis but one possibility is an abundant amount of fat within the peritoneal cavity. This cannot be compacted with abdominoplasty and will compromise results. This should have been discussed prior to the operation.

Before photos to compare tummy tuckl swelling

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You definitiely have a "protuberant" abdominal shape where your abdomen has a round convex appearance.  It will be important to compare your before and after photos to determine how much fullness you had before surgery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD