Is Negotiating Cost a Myth?

Several people (including some in the medical field) have mentioned to me, since most plastic surgery is elective, price can sometimes be negotiable. Is this true and a common practice in the PS field? Or is this an urban legend? I'd hate to insult a surgeon by asking to negotiate. Thank you!

Is Negotiating Cost of Plastic Surgery Procedure a Myth?

+2

Thank you for the question. I do not think that you need to be concerned about “insulting” a plastic surgeon if you politely ask for a discounted price for surgery.  Personally I can tell you that if, during the consultation process, I find that the patient is a good candidate for surgery ( physically, emotionally, psychosocially etc.) and has a “glass half full” ( and likable) personality,  I am inclined to find a way to discount the surgeon's portion of fees. On the other hand, if a patient does not fit the above criteria, he/she will not even receive a quote, much less a discounted one. 

Furthermore, many offices including ours will provide a discount of surgeon's fee for military personnel/family, teachers, nurses etc.

Again, it does not hurt to ask.

It never hurts to ask

+1

as long as you're willing to accept 'no' as the answer.  The economy is not great and there are plenty of surgeons out there.  If I had this coming Friday wide open and you walked in wanting a discount, I would give you one if you filled my empty time.  Some surgeons are unable to do this due to their policies, the demand for their services or other things and will simply say no.  It would be your job to make sure your surgeon is a good one if you choose to go this route.

Curtis Wong, MD

Negotiable prices

+1

Hi Lyk4shr

I would not be offended by a patient asking me for a discount in my pricing. However, how would they like me to cut costs? Do the operation faster? Delegate pre and post op care to a nurse rather than myself? Use cheaper implants or post op surgical bras? Decide not to use the equipment and consumables that I believe add to the best outcome that I can deliver?

I do offer some discounts for multiple procedures, but that is due to the time saved in my anaesthetist putting patients to sleep and waking them up. Or being available at short notice to fill in the operating time created by a patient cancelling with little notice. Everyone wins in those situations.

I would assume that you will choose the best surgeon available for your procedure. They may be open to a dialogue about how you can save costs, but I would imagine that everything comes at a compromise that you will also need to accept.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Discounting cost for cosmetic surgery

+1

I don't think that you will offend anybody by asking.  What is the purpose for the discount?  I ask because my hope is that your not trying to find the cheapest surgeon.  My goal is not to be the cheapest surgeon but to be the best.  If you met with your surgeon and find there is value to the service and have a good relationship, that is a win win situation.  People pay more for Lexus than a Toyota, despite that they are made by the same company.  There is value that justifies the higher cost.  Good luck  

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Is Negotiating Cost a Myth?

+1

While it does not hurt to ask about a cost reduction, seeking bargain basement prices is not likely to give a good result. Many plastic surgeons will offer a discount for combined cases or past patients, in cases of hardship or for members and family of the military. However, a better approach would be to look at the big picture. For example, if you need a revision, will this result in more charges or not (if you negotiated a big discount, don;t expect to get a revision covered). 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Is Negotiating Cost a Myth?

+1

I do not think it would hurt to ask.  I do think that there are some patients who are less difficult and some who are more difficult based upon anatomy and goals.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA