Massaging my Incisions After Upper Eyelid Lift-blepharoplasty?

I am 51 and had my "skin" removed from an upper eyelid lift in which insurance paid. There was a solid amount of skin removed and I experienced a lot of bruising and swelling which is slowly going away. I was told to now start massaging. I have heard conflicting messages in regards to the amount of pressure to massage this area. Typically, should patients rub the incisions lightly, firmly, or somewhere in between? I want to prevent massaging too lightly or too heavy for poor results. Thank you!

Massage scars

+1

This is tough Just what is the right amount of pressure.As long as its not too firm and conmfortable.You can leave it alone and do nothing since these incisions usually heal very well.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Massage after upper blepharoplasty

+1

As with any surgical incision, there can be a degree of firmness under the incision, especially in the early months after surgery.  If this is the case massage with steady but not excessive pressure 2 to 3 times a day can be helpful.  A few minutes with each massage session is usually all that is necessary.  Please do not put pressure on the eyeball itself when you are doing the massage.

John Q. Cook, MD

Hello

+1

In our practice the only reason to message would be to help break scar tissue down or to help the nerves and muscle regenerates or work properly. The messaging is not all day only 15 minutes may 3 times a day and it’s just a soft messaging.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS