I Have the Widest Nostrils and Hate Them and Would Love Surgery to Fix It, what Would You Recommend? (photo)

My nose is so ugly and would love to have my large nostrils small,what would you recommend i have done as i can't stand looking at it.

Alar base surgery and rhinoplasty in the black patient

+1
Surgery to address the size and shape of the nostrils can be done without operating on the rest of the nose. If you are indeed only concerned with addressing nostrils that are too large and flared and you feel that the remainder of your nose including the tip and bridge are just fine, you could choose to just have alar base surgery to correct both nostril size and flaring. This can be performed under local anesthesia and the recovery is reasonably straightforward with minimal downtime. If on the other hand you are concerned with other areas of the nose in addition to the nostrils, then you may benefit from rhinoplasty in addition to alar base surgery.

Some other common concerns that prompt black patients to seek rhinoplasty include a flat, low dorsum (bridge) and a flat, large, ill-defined tip. Increasing the height of the dorsum will help to balance the profile but also improve definition of the bridge from the front view. Improving tip definition and projection can help to make the nose appear less flat and wide giving the nose more definition. Although it is possible to make the nose look significantly better with rhinoplasty, it is important that the resulting changes still appear in balance with the other facial features and remain ethnically congruent to avoid an unnatural result and stigmatizing result.

The goal of rhinoplasty surgery should be to create a nose that is best suited to your face both in proportion and shape so that you achieve the most natural looking result. If done well, it is possible to achieve a result after rhinoplasty that looks significantly better to you while making it not obvious that surgery was ever performed.

You would benefit from a consultation with a board certified plastic surgery that has significant experience with rhinoplasty in black patients.

Reducing the size of the nostrils

+1

An alar base reduction can yield a fantastic result when you are looking to reduce the size of the nostrils. Depending on your goals, it may be completed under local anesthesia in the office.  If you would like to change the appearance of your tip or bridge, it would be better to be performed under general anesthesia.

During an alar base reduction, part of the nostril is removed. The incisions are hidden in the groove where your nose and your cheek meet.  I would recommend a consult with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist. They will be able to assess your nose in person and provide you with advice. When looking for a surgeon, be mindful of the following:

1) Credentials

2) Board certification

3) Fellowship training

4) Great patient testimonials

5) A good amount of before and after photos showcasing their work.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar plasty for wide nostrils

+1

A simple alar-plasty  performed under local anesthesia can narrow wide nostrils. This is performed under local anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.

Treatment of Wide Nostrils

+1

Your tip can be refined and the base of your nose reduced. Although it is difficult to see your entire nose in the one picture you've sent this is frequently done in ethnic rhinoplasty.