I Had a 2nd Degree Tear from Having my 1st Son. A Stitch Popped During Healing. I Had a Perineorrhaphy B/c the Tear Healed Wrong

The stitches from the initial birth completely dissolved within 4.5 weeks. With the perineorrhaphy though, it's been 5 weeks since they did it and I still have ALL of the stitches there. Is this normal? I'm really concerned that they haven't dissolved at all yet. The doctor confirmed that yes, she was using dissolvable stitches again. Maybe she used a different kind? I don't have pain using the bathroom or walking, but when I press my finger on the area, it's sore. There is no infection. Confused!

Types of sutures used in Labiaplasty in Los Angeles

+1

In my practice, I use both absorbable and non-absorbable sutures for labiaplasty, depending on the extent of repair and the amount of tension on the wound. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Stitches Still There after 5 Weeks

+1

Different absorbable stitches dissolve at different rates, and two different sutures may have been used.

Perineal pain and retained sutures after perineoplasty

+1

If your doctor used Vicryl (or other PLA-type dissolving sutures it might be 6-8 weeks for all sutures to dissolve.  If your function is normal and all you have left is some discomfort you are probably on the right track. Give yourself a full 6-8 weeks before you get too concerned.  

Daniel Greenwald, MD