Suggestions for more reasonably priced aftercare applications?

Its been 8 months since my face/neck lift. I'm very satisfied with the results however, the Esthetician suggest that I continue to use her recommended moisturizer to the tune of $145.00 for 1.67 ozs of product with water being the main ingredient. Is there a more reasonable product I can be using that will provide me with the same results?

Top facial creams after a facelift or necklift - Melarase vs. Obagi

+1
After facial surgery, our office places patients on the RR Retinoid Repair Cream and Melarase to help further improve skin quality and skin resiliency. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Skin Care After Facelift

+1
Retin A and sunscreen are  two  products that   keep skin looking good over time. Which moisturizer you use is less critical. Ask you esthetician about a complete skin care plan.

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheaper moisturizer

+1
  • Expensive moisturizer is a luxury that few if any people need - with or without a face lift.
  • A healthy skin - unless exceptionally dry - needs no moisturizer except in cold, dry weather.
  • Skin care (tretinoin + glycolic) restores moisture to most skins
  • Pond's cold cream, Eucerin or any other moisturizer that your skin tolerates is fine.
  • Many people break out from all moisturizers - and cannot use them.. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Moisturizer post face

+1
There are so many different products out there and to me the best one is the one that you can tolerate AND afford.Spending more money will not meann it is a better product.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

After surgery scar care

+1
After surgery, there are descent studies that support the use of silicone and sun block to maximize scar healing and prevent more visible scars.  I typically recommend these skin/scar care products post op after the first couple of weeks.  I recommend a more expensive hypoallergenic product now, as I have seen problems with the cheaper products causing breakouts and pimples in the past.  

As as far as general skin moisturizers, the same problems can exist.  The cheaper products seem to cause more problems in patients with sensitive skin, especially on the face and behind the ears.

A good aesthetician will work with his or her surgeon and, in some instances, use a facial product postop depending on the patients skin and how they heal.  If there are areas of pigment irregularity, or postoperative melasma, a compounding pharmacy can help by mixing a specific cream containing a hydroquinone, retinoids, and cortisone.  Many liquid products contain water as the primary ingredient.

Sometimes, you get what you pay for.  Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon in regard to the exact reason you are using that cream and any possible cheaper alternatives.

Joshua Lampert, MD

Moisturizers after facelift

+1
Any moisturizer will do as long as it does not cause irritation of the skin. The superiority of one product over others have not been proven. 

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aftercare products

+1
There are a multitude of moisturizers sold over the counter and many TV reports have demonstrated that they are essentially the same, with different perfumes and packaging.  You should be fine with any product, including Jergens, Neutrogena, etc.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Skin care post facelift

+1
I do not feel that moisterizers do much if anything for truthfully improving the tightness and look of the skin. I recommend ZO skin care products. Exfoliation and proper products will tighten the skin, make it look more youthful and allow the facelift results to last longer. Go to their site and do some research.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

+1
These days, there are many great products to chose from in all price ranges.  Experiment with various products in your price range, to determine what works best for you.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD