6 weeks post op of Rhinoplasty, my nose tip seems hard and piggish. What is giving the unnatural appearance? (photos)

I had a closed rhinoplasty on may 6th 2014, about 6 weeks ago. A suture technique was used to refine nasal tip, as well as some cartilage removal, albeit what was removed was relatively small according to my doctor. I also had an extremely small bump on bridge remived,and had osteotamies. The tip of my nose, and columella,stil feel hard. According to my doc, the contrast in skin, soft nostrils and hard tip, is causing these indentations. Tip looks piggish. What is giving the unnatural appearance? Swelling or bad rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty concerns at 6 weeks post op

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned especially with the nose tip looking "piggish". Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Firm nasal tip at 6 weeks

Just early in the post operative recovery period following your rhinoplasty.  Give it more time and it will get better.  It usually takes up to 6 months for the nasal tip to soften up.  

6 weeks post op of Rhinoplasty, my nose tip seems hard and piggish. What is giving the unnatural appearance?

It is always difficult to assess the final result so early in the healing process.

6 weeks post rhinoplasty

6 weeks is extremely early in the healing process after a rhinoplasty.  You still have residual swelling from the rhinoplasty.  The tip area is the last area of the nose to become defined after rhinoplasty.  Tip refinement results may take up to a year after surgery.  You appear to be healing well at this point.   

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

Dear LarissaStef,

• Your results look normal for 6 weeks
  • The tip usually does come down a couple of millimeters, so just be patient
  • The firmness will also improve, just expect at least 6 months of healing time
  • Please see your surgeon for updates and reassurance, it looks very nice so far

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

ONLY 6 weeks!!! Healing take up to a full year in rhinoplasty surgery. Plus the series of posted photos demonstrates a very very nice early result. Best to discuss in person with your surgeon... 

Tip?

Right now, your nose looks pretty normal for an early post-op rhinoplasty. The tip can take up to a year after closed rhinoplasty to reach its final unchanging state. Be patient and trust your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD