Contemplating Traveling out of the United States for Surgery, What to Look for in a Doctor in a Foreign Country?

It seems a few of the top doctors for a Brazilian butt lift are out of the united states. I've looked at their work and it looks good. However, I'm still nervous to leave the country. Are doctors out of the country at the same standards they are in the united states? What should I look for in particular?

Out of country plastic surgery

+1

I don't recommend leaving the country for any surgical procedure. While the surgeon can be good, what about the facility? How will you follow up and what about complications? What about legal action if a problem arises? It is for these reasons that I would not travel outside the US for surgery. 

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeons

+1

I believe you will find a super plastic surgeon anywhere. The important part is to find the right one for you. and be available when you need him/her.

Choosing your plastic surgeon

When considering cosmetic surgery, there is nothing more important than choosing the right cosmetic surgeon.

Any physician can call himself/herself a cosmetic surgeon. A board Certified Plastic surgeon, by The American Board Of Plastic Surgery is the only recognized board, certifying plastic and cosmetic surgeons. Board certified Plastic Surgeons are dedicated to cosmetic surgery including Breast enhancement, body contouring and all aspects of Facial rejuvenation. They are trained in cosmetic procedures of the face and body that help you look natural and younger. Plastic surgeons adhere to the highest code of ethics. Do not assume that doctors who claim to be “board certified” have the same training. Board certified plastic surgeons have at least 2-3 year of plastic surgery training in addition to training in general surgery or other recognized specialty by the American Board of Medical Specialties.

Your cosmetic surgery should be done in an accredited facility; the surgeon should have privileges to do these same procedures in a hospital facility.

Your board certified plastic surgeon should spend the time to answer all your questions. Welcomes questions about the procedure, and seeks the input of the patient in the decision making process.

During the consultation come with a list of questions that should be answered thoroughly. Discuss risks and complications and how these complications are handled.

Ask and be thoroughly informed about finances, including financial obligations for revision surgery and cost.

Ask who will do the preoperative and post operative care and follow up. It is the plastic surgeon’s responsibility to do so.

+1

People from all over the world travel to the US each year to take advantage of the health care system in this country.  If you truly feel that the services are the same outside of the US, then have surgery outside of the US.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA