How Do Fat Cells Effect the Amount of Lipo for a BBL? Also Why Drains? (photo)

I'm 33, 5'4", 126lbs, BMI 22%. I'm confused on the amount of fat needed for me. Some doctors say I need to gain weight (12-30lbs) while other Dr.s say the amount of fat I have is enough to achieve the look I want. Why do some doctors bible thump weight gain, while others profess it's a misconception because fat cells don't change. What's going on technically w/fat cells? Why should patients get drains, again each Dr. has conflicting answers? Pros and Cons? Thank you for your precious time.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Amount of Fat Required for BBL

+1

First and foremost, please make sure that your surgeon is Certified by teh American Board of Plastic Surgery. that is teh gold standard when it comes to plastic surgery. All of member associations derive and verify surgeons based on the ASPS. In regards to yoru question, as I perform this procedure daily, is that as a surgeon we would like to have fat cells somewhat easily accessible so that we can contour with the fat grafting as much as possible your body. If you are too lean, then we have to be even more aggressive. Based on yoru pictures and teh shape you're looking for, i would say a weight between 130-135 would be ideal. Best of luck and make sure your surgeon is Board Certified.

Regards, Dr. S

Web reference: http://www.miamibuttlift.com/

Do I Need To Gain Weight For A Brazilian Butt Lift?

+10

Dear Lil, There are two ways people increase their fat storage capacity.  These two ways are referred to as hypertrophy and hyperplasia.  In the hypertrophy situation, when one gains more weight, one adds fat to a fat cell making the cell bigger.  This type of weight gain is the most common, and certainly would be how you would store excess fat.  The hyperplasia situation is unique to very, very big people such as Sumo wrestlers who actually increase the number of fat cells present in their bodies.

Since the process of increasing the size of your buttocks by injecting fat really means injecting fat cells, and since a 10, 20 or 30 pound increase on you would only increase the fat content of each cell and not the number of cells no matter how fat your get, ultimately there won't be any more cells to increase the size of your buttocks.  Therefore, the doctors who advised you to gain weight for a Brazilian butt lift need to go back to medical school or only operate on Sumo wrestlers.

With reference to drains (and I love drains), putting drains in an area after liposuction makes no sense to me at all.  I have done over 6,000 liposuction procedures and stopped draining after 1,000.  Therefore, I recommend no drains and no weight gain necessary for your Brazilian butt lift.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Gaining Weight For #BrazilianButtLift

+6

Gaining weight for a Brazilian Butt Lift is a complete misconception, unless you are going to stay at that new weight. When you gain weight, you gain it in multiple locations. If you are heavier in your face for example, it is unlikely that you will keep the weight on if you are unhappy with your fuller face (or hips or abdomen etc). Thus, fat is fat, and if there is more to transfer through gaining weight, that will only be beneficial if you stay at that weight. If you go back to your original weight (for reasons discussed etc.) then you will loose that portion in the buttocks as well - limiting the end result. If it doesn't make sense to you (or someone cant explain it to you) then it probably isn't true.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Pros and cons of weight gain prior to BBL

+4

Thank you for the photos. You are a good candidate for buttock augmentation. Fat cells are storage cells and gaining weight will make them bigger only. Brazilian butt lift is a procedure to enhance the shape and size of the buttocks. One should work to achieve a nice sexy shape first and add fat to increase posterior and lateral projection. The shape is achieved by transferring fat into the buttocks, and aspirating it from all around the buttocks (hip rolls, flanks, presacral fat pad, abdomen). By contouring all these areas, which are the donor sites for the fat transfer, the surgeon can create a beautiful buttock. Drains are placed in the presacral area or small of the back to promote skin tightening and healing down to the muscle cover in this area. This is what creates the dip or shelf of the upper buttocks. I do not believe you need to gain weight for this procedure. See a board certified plastic surgeon and ask to see his/her preop and postop photos of previous patients. Postops should be at least 6 months out. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.bellevueplasticsurgeons.com

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

As higher weighting as better BB up no more than 22 lbs in excess/mientras mas alto sea el peso mejor proyeccion de gluteos

+2

the best answer for you it is questionning to the wright professional a certified aesthetic plastic surgeon ASAPS member you sureley will get quite satisfactory results.

answers to your questions a.-it is not necessary yo get fatty to realize BBL maximum overweight should be no more than 20 lbs.b.-you are ok to realize this kind of procedure you dont need anymore.c.-the misconception is for not well trained surgeons on this procedure d.-drains are always left into the lyposuction zone (DONT INTO YOUR BUTTS)

las mejores  respuestas a tus preguntas las tendra cualquier cirujano plastico estetico ceertificado por la ASAPS. respuesta a tus preguntas.

a.-no es necesario que engordes para realizar el BBL tu sobrepeso no debe rebasar las 20 lbs.

b.-. de acuerdo a tus fotos tus condiciones son excelentes para realizarlasa ahora mismo

c.-la mala informacion te la proporcionan cirujanos que no pertenecen a la ASAPS

d.-los drenajes siempre se colocan en la zona liposuccionada nunca en tus nalgas

Mexico Plastic Surgeon