Looking for Qualified Surgeon in Florida to Do Eyelid Surgery?

Where can I find out if a doctor has had a malpractice?

At present, my 18 year old sister is looking for a qualified specialist to do a (possible) upper eyelid lift. She is very young and I don't want her to make the same mistake I did by not doing research. So, I was hoping that you could provide us with a website where it shows the doctors credentials.

Also, she living in Florida and would prefer to have the surgery there. So, if you know of a qualified specialist in FL, could you please let me know? Thank you for your time.

Alexa

The Florida Board of Medicine makes much of this information available to the public

+2

Dear Alexa

The State of Florida has been very proactive in looking to protect the residents of Florida. The Board maintains online physician profiles that list legal and administrative actions taken against. The site also lists liability awards of more than $100,000.

Keep in mind that any surgeon in practice long enough will have been sued for malpractice. That is a reality of our legal system. A single lawsuit should not be a reason to avoid a particular surgeon unless there was an associated administrative action taken against the doctor. However, a pattern of lawsuits is another matter.

Equally important is finding a surgeon with specialized training and knowledge of eyelid surgery. The most throughly trained eyelid surgeons are oculoplastic surgeons. These are individuals who are board certified ophthalmologists who are fellowship trained in eyelid, orbital, and facial plastic surgery.

The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website that can help you find and eye plastic surgeon close to your location.

Florida licence lookup.

+1

Florida has a great site though the Florida Department of Health:

ww2.doh.state.fl.us/IRM00PRAES/PRASLIST.ASP

There you can look up...for FREE...the training, background, board certification(s), legals actions, disciplinary actions, etc. of every doctor in the state.

Florida's is one of the most extensive online license lookups of any state in the nation.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malpractice as a criteria for selecting qualified surgeons

+1

Dear Alexa

You can go to the DBPR the Florida Departmentt of Business and Professional Regulation and look up each doctor. Remember that this does not indicate a doctor's quality. The doctor with the most experience may also be doing the most complex cases as well, which carries a higher risk.

Speak to several doctors in the area and then sit back and think about what each one said. Sometimes you just have a gut feeling that one is not right for you whatever the reason. Don't be afraid to ask the doctor what happens if I am not happy or if there is a problem. Ask them which hospital they are on staff and can your surgery be done at the hospital.

Hopefully at 18, most doctors will have the smarts and the ethics to say wait unless as I said yesterday where is a congenital problem with drooping. If someone wants to operate on her for a very cheap price tomorrow, advise her to leave as quickly as possible.

Good luck!

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon