Extreme dry eyes after upper blepharoplasty. What's causing it?

It is over a 1.5 yrs. after my upper blepharoplasty surgery and my eyes are extremely dry (directly after the surgery) with doctors prescribing plugs and very expensive eye drops. I never had dry eyes in my life. What are the chances that the muscle and/or blinking mechanism was negatively impacted as my blink rate was diagnosed to be very slow after the operation? What kind of doctor can verify the cause so I know what route to take and to look into getting a resolution and/or repair? Thx

Dry eyes post bleph

+1
As we age we produce less tears and soem people have dry eyes that need to be treated.The bleph may have contributed to this but it is hard to say.I would see my eye sdoctor and get the necessary treatment.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

+1
Very rare to have dry eye syndrome after uppers only... Best to see University based ophthalmologist like at U of Miami Bascom Palmer Eye Institiute... 

Dry Eyes After Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty

+1
We produce less tears as part of the aging process.  Many people having upper eyelid Blepharoplasty fall into the category of patients are older than 50, and may be already experiencing dryness.  Corneal surgery and upper eyelid Blepharoplasty are associated with temporary dryness for a variety of reasons.  Patients with a pre-existing or unrecognized dry eye syndrome are likely to experience more severe dryness.  Those unfortunate patients who have excessive upper eyelid skin removed during Blepharoplasty are likely to be most symptomatic due to corneal exposure.  Permanent damage to the blink reflex would be very rare.  I recommend seeing a reputable Occuloplastic Surgeon in your area.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dry eye after blepharoplasty

+1
Many people will experience some dryness after any eyelid surgery due to the inflammation and swelling which can interfere with the blink.  With time this usually resolves.  Recent studies have shown that there is not an increase in dry eye after upper eyelid blepharoplasty except in people who were dry pre-op.  Can you close your eye?  If not then possibly too much skin was excised.  A slow blink can occur from nerve damage.  The nerves are cut when the skin is removed, but will normally regrow so that there is not a change in the blink.  You can see an oculoplastic surgeon to see if there is anything else that can be done to help you.  If you have rosacea, a trial of doxycycline can improve the tear film.     

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

These don't repair per se.

+1
Upper blepharoplasty surgery can damage the orbicularis oculi muscle of the upper eyelid.  The cause is damage to the motor nerves that drive the blink mechanism.  The issue can be minor in some and profound in others.  Treatment is both medical and surgical.  Some factors make the situation worse such as a history of refractive surgery (i.e. lasik), and certain collagen vascular diseases.  Fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeons generally manage these types of issues.  Because the work is specialized, you need to find surgeons who devote a significant portion of their practice to these types of issues.