Blepharitis and Very Dry Eyes After Upper Eyelid Surgery-Thank You!

I was diagnosed by 3 opthamologists of having blepharitis and very dry eyes after my upper eyelid surgery. I had the operation about 2.5 months ago. I never had dry eyes or Blepharitis prior to the operation and am in my early 50's. I see on this website that dry eyes can occur after this type of surgery. Can this surgery also cause Blepharitis? Can the antibiotic ointment placed in the eye directly after surgery (I believe it prevents infections) have caused the Blepharitis? Thank you!

Blepharitis Caused by Upper Eyelid Surgery?

+1

Dry eyes can be worsened with eyelid surgery, but blepharitis was likely present prior to surgery.  However, one can compound the other.

Dry eyes after eyelid surgery

+1

Blepharitis was likely present prior to surgery as surgery is very unlikely to cause that.  Dry eyes, though, can be worsened after eyelid surgery.  There are treatment options available for both blepharitis and dry eyes.  If the dry eyes is caused by improper eyelid closure/blinking, see an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Yes, Upper and or Lower Eyelid Surgery can create added exposure of the eye leading to dry eye.  Blepharitis is the inflamation that can result from this dry eye condition so, yes they are related.  You can see an eye doctor for specific recommendations to treat the dry eye from lubricating drops to tear duct plugs.  Hope this helps.

Dry Eyes

+1

Any surgery on the eyelids or cornea (Lasik, Cataract surgery) can be associated with dry eyes.  The exact reason this happens is uncertain, several theories exist include a post-surgical "shock" of the lacrimal glands that line the conjunctiva and weakness of the orbicularis oculi muscle that functions as the motor of lacrimal pump system. As we get older, we produce less tears and ocular dryness is generally discussed as a possible side effect of the surgery.  Debilitating dryness is very rare.  I recommend that you continue to see an Ophthalmologist.  Any reason for seeing three Ophthalmologists over 2.5 months for a condition that can only be treated with supportive care?

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon