Possible Areola Infection? (photo)

Hello, I am eleven days post-op from a mastopexy with augmentation. Today, I noticed that my left areola is not looking too great. I am worried this could be the start of an infection. I have a follow-up appointment with my physician in three days, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do in the meantime to promote healing? I'm a non-smoker and was hoping for a complication-free recovery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Wound healing issues after breast lift are seldom due to infection.

+1

A mastopexy or breast lift will involves incisions and movement of tissues they create areas of poor blood supply along the incisions. Minor wound healing issues are not uncommon but are not the result of infection. Most of the time they heal uneventfully with careful management.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,16-atlanta-breast-reshaping.htm

Possible Areola Infection?

+1

Why wait the 3 days before seeing the surgeon? Call now for a today appointment, so he/she can render in person care! 

Areola separation and compromise

+1

Your photos do not support an infection.  Regardless, I hope you contacted your surgeon for their guidance on how to deal with this, even if your appointment wasn't for a couple more days.  You should ALWAYS be able to contact your surgeon during the post-operative period and with technology available today, could have sent your surgeon a photo.  If you were my patient and sent me that picture, I would have simply had you dress it with a topical antibiotic ointment and know that it will heal.  The lesson here is as a patient, you should ALWAYS have the ability to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Possible Areola Infection?

+1

Rather than an infection, the problem here is more likely related to insufficient blood flow to some of the areolar skin. Typically, no particular intervention is required, other than trying to maintain a most healing environment--antibiotic ointment will do fine. In all likelihood, both sides will look the same (look fine, that is) in several weeks. 

Rather than waiting for a routine scheduled appointment, send this photo to your surgeon for advice--if he/she feels you need to be seen sooner,it will be arranged.

All the best.

Nipple Areolar Problems after Breast Augmentation and Mastopexy

+1

The area in question should do well in the long term.  At this far out, this usually represents a superficial issue.  Your plastic surgeon can examine you and reassure you as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift-photo-galleries.php

Concerns after Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Of course your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to precise advice. Based on your pictures,  a small area of the delayed wound healing ( possibly blood flow related) is visible. At this point, I would not suggest any intervention. These areas generally go on to heal uneventfully;  occasionally minor scar revision surgery may be necessary down the line.

For more precise advice/reassurance, I'm sure your plastic surgeon will see you earlier if you call.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm