2 Questions Regarding Muscle Damage After Upper Eyelid Lift?

I had an upper eyelid lift about 2.5 months ago I never had dry eyes in my life and now have very dry eyes and my vision has decreased A cornea doctor told me (not my surgeon) that my blink rate is very slow/low I suspect that damage to a muscle may have occured What "specific" type of specialist can confirm this so I can get to the root of the issue and if this is he case, look at options to correct the damaged muscle? What type of tests can be done to link my low blink rate to muscle damage?

Muscle Damage after Upper Blepharoplasty?

+1

At 2.5 months following surgery, your dry eye condition will likely improve.  Did your surgeon even remove any muscle during the surgery?  I do not remove muscle during surgery.  Also, it would be hard to compare blink rates since you did not know your blink rate before surgery. 

Blepharoplasty or Ptosis surgery

+1

"Eyelid lift" is a layman's term. This could mean either ptosis repair [raising a droopy eyelid] or removing excess eyelid skin [and sometimes some underlying muscle].

Each of these surgeries could lead to dry eye as a side effect. This is the most common risk of eyelid surgery. Most patients will adjust to this and the dry eye resolved. Some patients that may have had borderline dry eye to begin with, may have been tipped over the edge by the surgery ["the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak].

Blink rate/excursion does occasionally diminish with surgery. For that reason, we try to minimize the amount of muscle excised.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon