Flonase Use After Septorhinoplasty?

I am 17 days post op and my doctor gave me Flonase to help suppress the internal swelling that was severely bothering me. I am very healthy with no allergies or other complications. The surgery went very well and I have had almost no bleeding post op. He said I was healing very well. What are the drawbacks to using Flonase this soon after septorhinoplasty and are there any short or long term side effects? Can it impair healing or cause long term damage to my nasal linings?.

Flonase for internal nasal swelling

+1

Hi,

It is not unusual for a surgeon to start you on a nasal steroid spray, such as Flonase, after a septorhinoplasty. Oftentimes following nasal surgery, there is significant swelling of the inner lining of the nose, the septum and the turbinates. Not only does a nasal steroid help reduce the swelling so that your breathing is improved, the reduction in swelling can help prevent adhesions (scar tissue) from forming inside your nose. Hope your breathing is improving and that you’re pleased with your results!

Dr.Sunder

Flonase

+1

Flonase is a steroid that is used for nasal congestion and swelling. It can potentially impair wound healing but not significantly.

Nasal sprays after septoplasty

+1

Hi Dallas 8303,

You should be fine using nasal steroid sprays, such as Flonase, after septoplasty.  Nasal steroids work to decrease edema or swelling in the nose and can help minimize irritation.  There are very few side effects and I would not worry about damaging your nose or the results from your surgery.  If you have further concerns, you should discuss them with your physician.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon