Do I Need a Floating Mini TT or Full or Mini TT? (photo)

I'm 29, 158cms tall and weigh 57 kgs. I've had 3 big babies, and now I have diastisis and loose skin. It seems that no amount of exercise is fixing it. I've seen one plastic surgeon, and he recommends for me to have a floating mini TT as well as repair of an umbilical hernia. It sounds good to me, although I am worried that the belly button will end up being too low. I am keen on keeping my belly button (not keen on loosing it for a scar with full TT). What would be best for me?

Mini tummy tuck with or without umbilical "float"

+2

Though no one can say for certain without seeing you personally, the picture shows the type of things that we would do a mini tummy tuck for with the umbi float. What that means is that the mini tummy tuck scar can be very low so it is concealable, and the belly button (umbilicus) is detached from underneath and moved down a little (so no scar). That allows for a bit more tightening of the skin but doesn't work if the umbi is low to begin with.

You need to be seen

+2

The amount of excess skin has to be evaluated in person -- then what you need can be decided upon, especially if you want a second opinion.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Do I Need a Floating Mini TT or Full or Mini TT

+2

Thank you for your question and photos. These are helpful, but less so than an actual exam. 

Most of what I see in the photos is laxity of the abdominal wall, which will be improved by the diastasis repair. I can't really tell too much about the skin laxity, other than to note that it is modest. The navel, by the way, seems off-centered to the right. Although I might feel differently based upon examination, I think that the umbilical float sounds like the best option. If there is not too much laxity above the navel, the navel can stay at the current height, but I would suggest moving it to the midline.

Floating Minitummy Tuck or Short Scar Tummy Tuck

+1

The floating minitummy tuck with plication sounds reasonable.  A short scar tummy tuck (incision the length of a minitummy tuck) may be possible, but an exam would be necessary.  The short scar tummy tuck can remove up to three times as much skin as the minitummy tuck.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.

Mini Tummy Tuck vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

In the pictures that you submitted, you do not appear to have a ton of extra skin.  The only way to determine whether a mini tummy tuck with umbilical float or a full tummy tuck is best for you is to examine you and see how much extra skin you have.  When your surgeon examines you, he/she will be able to estimate how much skin will come out and should be able to show you roughly where your belly button will end up.  From there you can determine what is right for you. Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD