How Far Out From My House Should I Drive For a TT?

Just wondering how far out from my house I should I drive when getting a tummy tuck? 1 hour? 2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours? Im starting my research on Dr in my area but there are a few that are 3 hr drive and was wondering if thats tooooo much car?

Distance from surgeon

+2

It is most important to find a surgeon with whom you are comfortable. All other things equal, finding one closer to your home will be considerable more convenient than finding one far away. 

You will need at least one early post-op visit, often more. Driving far when you have recently had surgery is no pleasure. Any untoward events after surgery may result in more visits than were expected.

You will also need to find someone to drive you home from surgery, and probably at least to your first visit. 

All these are considerations that you alone must factor in to your decision.Thanks for this question, best wishes.

Thanks and best wishes. 

Travel times to Plastic Surgeon for Tummy Tuck

+2

The key is that you find a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the expertise to meet your expectations. Best case scenario is that your surgeon is close to your home but its not the key issue.

Laurie Casas, MD

Surgery

+1

you need to find someone that you are comfortable with and have a partner who will help you with the commuting for the surgery and the post operative follow up visits

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck

+1

Many patients travel  long distances for surgery in order to find the surgeon they feel is the best match. Patients should not be driving themselves immediately after surgery. Take your time in selecting the best plastic surgeon. Don't select your plastic surgeon based on convenience

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

A three hour drive is not too far, but you should plan to stay near by the doctor's office for a day or two afterwards. After a few days you should be able to go back home, but someone else will need to drive you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Distance is less of an issue than the correct choice.

+1

Thank you for your question.  While a longer drive will be a bit uncomfortable after surgery, the times you mentioned should not confer any significant additional risk to your recovery.  The best approach is to select the best surgeon for you with whom you have a good rapport.  You should be confident in their communication skills, technical skills, experience, credentials and results.  You should also be supported by your own social network and the stafff to ensure a smooth recovery.  If the surgeon you choose is a further away, consider staying overnight in a hotel to break up your trip and to feel confident that you are recovering normally.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Driving distance for plastic surgery

+1
I would recommend that you first see plastic surgeons with offices within an hour of your home. If you find a good fit in personality and credentials close to home, it is better to avoid such a long drive not only for surgery but also to facilitate active followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Distance to Travel for a Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no set rule about this. Find the Board Certified plastic surgeon that you feel most comfortable with and discuss the travel issues then.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Driving Distance to Plastic Surgeon?

+1

There is no specific number of hours that I can recommend when it comes to driving distance from your plastic surgeon.

In my opinion, the most important decision you do make ( when it comes to safety and outcome of the operation performed) will be selection of your plastic surgeon.  If you do not have a plastic surgeon in your area who meets your criteria,  it may be worth traveling a significant distance. However, if you do do so it may be in your best interest to stay locally ( close to your plastic surgeon's office) for a period of time after the tummy tuck procedure. For example,  out of state patients who  have their tummy tuck procedures performed with us are asked to stay  in town for approximately 2 weeks after this operation.

How Far to Go for a Tummy Tuck

+1

I would not recommend having a surgery and riding in a car 3 hours after the surgery.  This may increase the probability of blood clot development in your legs.  Tummy tucks have the highest rate of blood clot development of the plastic surgery procedures performed.  However, no one really knows how much is too much.  If you decide to drive a long distance following surgery, make sure that you take frequent stops to ambulate to decrease the risk of blood clots.