Can I have my breast implants removed with only local anesthesia?

I have had breast implants for some time now, since I was in my mid 30s. I'm now 63 and wanting them removed so that my mammograms will be easier to read, etc. They're saline and if I have any capsular contracture it's minimal. What is the typical cost for this procedure and would it be possible to do it under local with conscious sedation?

+2
If all that is being done is removal of the implants ( no capsule work)  then they may be safely and comfortably removed under local anesthesia for  a relatively calm patient. I generally individualize the type of anesthesia to be used based on the specific patient's  personality and  situation.

Anesthesia for implant removal

+2
Anesthesia can vary for breast procedures and while I prefer a general anesthesia for most breast procedures for patient comfort, saline implant removal can be done under sedation and local anesthesia.  I do like to remove some of the capsule to allow the pocket to close and a also place a drain to prevent fluid collection.

Michelle J. Place, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Local anesthesia is not only possible but probably preferred!

+2
Without capsules to deal with, local anesthesia is safe, easy, comfortable, and least expensive! Of course, personal examination would be necessary to confirm the surgical as well as anesthetic approach. Local plus IV sedation would require a driver, but may be the most comfortable option of all short of (unnecessary) general anesthesia. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

+2
Simple implant removal could easily be done with oral sedation and local. Regional rib blocks and oral narcotics with Valium would be adequate. If your capsule is calcified it should come out and sometimes that could make it a little tricky. But your mammograms would help determine that. 

John Mancoll, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal under local

+2
It is quite possible to remove implants under local with some sedation. If there is a capsule as well, it can be removed as well. Best of luck.

Local anesthesia for implant removal

+2
If the only treatment will be removal then the use of local anesthetic for removal of saline implants is appropriate.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Implant Removal

+2
Hi Carol,
yes we typically do this for saline under local with just a shot of numbing medicine in the incision!  All the best, "Dr. Joe 

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal technique depends on a number of issues

+2
Hi!
From your description, it sound like you could have your implants removed easily - and even with only local anesthesia, since is sounds like you do not require a capsulectomy.
When the capsule is hard and requires removal, then you would need general anesthesia. It is also possible to deflate your  saline implants in the office for you to see if you want to live without them. Once the saline has absorbed, and you live with the new smaller size, you may realize you want to have them replace, usually with the gel style.
Breast Wishes.

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1
Thank you for your question! Depending on your and your plastic surgeon's comfort level with surgical procedures via local anesthesia, it certainly is a safe procedure and can be done via local only or a little sedation. It is difficult to answer about the appearance of your breasts without a photo or examination.  Removal of your implants alone will create a smaller breast with somewhat similar shape. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and the possibility for a breast lift, either at the same time or at a later date, if deemed necessary.  Many times drains are placed as well as compression garments used postoperatively.  Cost varies among surgeons as well as geographic location.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD