Should I Get a Fleur De Lis? (photo)

I am a very physically active, single 29 y/o who has lost 80 lbs (and maintained for 5 years) thanks to exercise and proper diet, however I have not been able to lose the very lax skin (partially due to excessive stretch marks) around my mid-section which has been very frustrating. My surgeon has recommended a fleur-de-lis especially due to the lose skin on upper abdomen. I don't have kids yet, but I would like this for my present quality of life. Any suggestions/comments?

The scar from a Fleur-de-lis type abdominoplasty is difficult to hide.

+1

One of the goals in a standard tummy tuck procedure is to keep the scar as low as possible so you are able to cover the scar with your underwear or bikini. The vertical scar in a Fleur de lis abdominoplasty obviously can't be covered. Usually this procedure is reserved for patient who have significant laxity. With a standard abdominoplasty you may still have some laxity in the horizontal direction but most patients accept some laxity and would prefer not to have a very noticeable scar. You can have that procedure done secondarily for example after you've had your children.

Abdominoplasty , Tummytuck , Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+1

Hello

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Judging from your photos you may have reasonable results with just a well performed high lateral tension abdominoplasty combined with liposuction of the upper , lower back and flanks.

Thank you

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS

Fleur De Lis good for extreme cases

+1

The Fleur De Lis technique does have value in patients with massive amounts of excess skin and severe skin laxity. That doesn't seem to be the case for you although it is hard to tell just from a photo. With a standard tummy tuck with liposuction you would most likely have a nice improvement although you will still have skin laxity on your flanks and back. If you don't care about scars then consider the Fleur De Lis. If you do care then maybe the more conservative procedure,(standard tummy tuck), would be best. Discuss the pros and cons with your surgeon.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Should I Get a Fleur De Lis?

+1

I think that a tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and back will give a very nice result in the right hands without the need for vertical scar or body lift. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fluer-de-lis

+1

Hi tziannia. I'm not sure I can give you an accurate answer because of the photos and lack thereof. However from what I can see in the photos, I have to disrepectfully disagree with your ps. I think you need a lower body lift or routine tummy tuck with liposuction. You very likely may need a reverse tummy tuck later to deal with your loose upper abdo skin. This is why your ps may want to do the fleur-de-lis.

Possibly get a second opinion with a board certified ps who specializes in post massive weight loss body c

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fleur de lis

+1

The use of a vertical incision along with the standard low transverse incision for abdominoplasty does not have universal support. There is no definitive evidence that a vertical component adds significantly to your type of need.

Based on your picture -- I do not recommend it.I recommend the standard low transverse slightly curved incision.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Fleur de lis

+1

Although I do use a vertical scar from time to time, this is not my preference. In your case, since the upper abdominal skin is not significant, I would recommend performing a standard abdominoplasty with wide undermining. This will not offer as much upper abdominal improvement but the scar will be much much better.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Fleur de lis abdominoplasty

+1

I personally do not like the scar of the fleur de lis. I do not feel it improves the results that you could obtain without it. If you end up not as tight as you would like, secondary procedures can be performed with scars under the breasts for example to tighten you further. But I do not feel you need that based on photos. Granted an examination by your surgeon will help decide. If you are not sure, then obtain a second opinion.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Fleur-de-lis for me?

+1

You have a little bit of laxity above your belly button, but committing to that up and down scar is a big deal. You probably could get a great result with just a lower scar. If you have more looseness over time, you could add the up and down scar later. You can never take the scar away! It's hard to tell from just a picture, but a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with a lot of experience with the Fleur-de-lis procedure can explain this to you. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon