Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck vs Abdominoplasty? (photo)

I am 17 months post-op from RNY. I've lost 115 lbs and have a lot of excess skin. I have had 2 consults by different plastic surgeons. One recommends Fleur De Lis due to my excess skin on my upper abs (an abdominoplasty wouldn't do the full job). 2nd said a reg abdominoplasty is suffieient (not hip to hip incision he will do 2/3 around). I am going through ins approval. Ins only covers panni removal; would have to pay for addtl costs. What would be best for me to get optimal results? Thank you!

What type of Tt

+3

Hi Trisha. Congratulations on the weight loss. You are an excellent cadidate for alower body lift and auto-augmentation of the buttocks.

This involves a 360 degree incision. The butt is lifted and instead of throwing away the excess skin, it is used as a flap to build up your butt, which I notice from your photos is hanging a bit and flat.

You get a Tt with this procedure without a vertical scar (fleur de lis) and a mons lift. The lateral thigh is also extensively lifted with this procedure.

By the way your arms could also be done at the same time.

Find a ps who specializes in pist bariatric body contouring to consult with. Good luck.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Near Circumferential Tummy Tuck

+2

Based on your pictures, you would be fine with an extended or near wrap around tummy tuck. While adding the vertical scar always produces some additional inward tightening, the scar tradeoff with the amount of loose abdominal skin that you have does not seem justified. Think more circumferential and not vertical.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Circumferential abdominoplasty/body lift will work

+1

Congrats on your weight loss! that is a great accomplishment. Based on your pics, I don't think you need the Fleur de Lis. I would do a circumferential abdominoplasty and lower body lift. You should do very well with this. Make sure you are working with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon who is an ASAPS member to assure you are getting an experienced surgeon. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck vs Abdominoplasty?

+1
Thank you for the question and photos. I would not do a fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty, nor just an abdominoplasty. Your best long term outcome with optimal results would be an abdominoplasty combined with a lower body lift. You went this far with the weight loss, you should invest in yourself to get one surgery that will give you the best results. See a board certified plastic surgeon well versed in thes body contouring procedures. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

+1

In almost all patients, the vertical scar is not worth the tradeoff in the amount of excess removed. However, this can only be determined with a physical exam.

Fleur de lis vs. traditional abominoplasty

+1

This is a very difficult question to answer. Especially without being able to complete a physical exam. There is no doubt that the fleur de lis approach will remove more skin and provide you with a tighter end result. But the vertical scar is unpredictable and most surgeons are better at creating a more natural belly button with a traditional abdominoplasty. Ask your surgeon if he/she knows patients that have been in your position and decided to do one procedure or the other. I have my prospective patients talk with my current patients. I have some that did just a traditional abdominoplasty when a fleur de lis could have also been completed. Some say that the small amount of residual excess skin is no big deal and they are glad that they don't have the vertical scar. I have other patients that have come back for a second procedure to remove that excess skin because it bothers them so much. In the end, it becomes a personal choice.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon