Would a Fleur-de-lis Tummy Tuck Be Best for Me?

I will be 53 in a few months. I've been obese most of my adult life. I've lost 155 lbs via diet and exercise. I'm left with a lot of loose, saggy skin above and below my belly button. A surgeon suggested I have a Fleur-de-lis Tummy Tuck. The more I read, the more I think it might give me the best end results, a tight tummy, no rolls, no "muffin top" and nothing hanging when I bend or sit.

Is my thought process on the right track? Would you recommend a traditional tummy tuck or Fleur-de-lis for me? Thanks!

Fleur-de-lis Tummy Tuck

+1

It depends on you. Allow me to explain.

Weight loss leaves people with DIFFERENT PATTERNS of skin excess. The operation needs to be tailored around YOUR particular skin excess and wishes.

Both a Fleur de Lis and lower body lift (belt) would do the job on the front; the advantage of the Fleur de Lis is that in exchange for a midline vertical scar a lot of skin excess in the front can be flattened WITHOUT having to go all the way around. On the other hand, if you have a sagging bottom you would like lifted, you may wish to save yourself a vertical scar in the front and use the belt-like scar to lift the buttocks as well as remove and flatten excess skin.

Hope this was helpful.

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Congrats on your weight loss. In my practice I do see quite a bit of massive weight loss patients and what I do have to say is that it depends. A photo would help, but an exam is even better. I have had patients who have lost 120, 140 lbs and done fine with a tradition tummy tuck and have had some that needed a body lift, which is circumferential and have had some need the fleur de lis. So it just depends on where you have lost the weight and how much skin laxity you have in the vertical and the horizontal direction. It is the horizontal direction that will determine the need for the extra incision in the fleur de lis procedure.

So a good exam by a board certified plastic surgeon that works with massive weight loss patients like yourself would be of great benefit.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck.

+1

Hi!

I have written about the fleur-de-lis tummy tuck, and I think it is a great, safe operation for someone like you.  A conventional tummy tuck wil not work.  Either the feur-de-lis, or a body lift.

And congratulations on the weight loss!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

The Abdominoplasty using the Fleur-de-lis is very effective

+1

The key for anyone considering abdominoplasty is to have a great Plastic Surgeon whom can direct you as to what procedure in their hands would give you the best result,. The doctor patient relationship is so important in achieving you individual goals. Many plastic surgeons do the abdominoplasty, some do the Fleur-DE-lis and some prefer the lower body lift. It can only really be determined by your plastic surgeon which would be best for you after they examine you thoroughly.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Fleur de lis tummy tucks after massive weight loss

+1

A tummy tuck with both vertical and horizontal incisions (fleur de lis) is often the best way to tighten the abdomen after massive weight loss because it maximizes the amount of skin that can be removed and the tightening that can be obtained.  Good luck!!  

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck is very effective after weight loss

+1

After massive weight loss there are many 'patterns' that are used to remove the excess skin and contour the abdomen. Frequently, a belt line dermolipectomy is used. With this procedure the excess skin in the waist abdomen and buttock is removed and tailored by a reduction scar line which goes all around the waist front to back. The benefit is a reduction and lift which includes buttock, the side of the thigh, abdomen, and to some extent the inner thigh. The pull or lift in this pattern can however straighten the waist. In order to narrow and contour the waist the skin must be removed in a vertical direction as well, not just on the horizontal line as in a more typical abdominoplasty. Hence, the fleur-de-lis, where the reduction occurs on the horizontal, but also on the vertical line, down the middle of the abdomen. The pattern become an inverted 'T'.

The better candidate is one who already has a vertical, or up and down, scar on the abdomen from prior surgery, often from a bypass procedure. Still, if the anticipated waist will be straight and shapeless, the extra incision and skin removal may be well worth the effort. Men probably will not be interested, though women who are more challenged by contoured or fitted clothing may appreciate the difference that the 'T' pattern has to offer. Certainly the procedure is worth looking into and may provide just what you are looking for.

peterejohnsonmd

Fleur-de-lis tummy tuck may be right for you

+1

Hi Moosie,

Fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty definitely has a role in body contouring, particularly in patients like you who have lost large amounts of weight. With this procedure, you can definitely remove more excess skin, but it comes at a cost of more scarring and more wound healing complications.

A reasonable thing to do would be to obtain consultation with more than one board-certified plastic surgeon. You'll be amazed at the wide range of opinions you'll find. It's very reasonable to look at before and after pictures from the surgeons to see what kind of results they can obtain with traditional versus fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty; it should help guide you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Fleur-de-lis Tummy Tuck

+1

There certainly is a role for the fleur-de-lis tummy tuck and if your surgeon is an experienced surgeon in body contouring (usually board certified in plastic surgery) then he/she has a reason for recommending this based on your goals and expectations and your findings on examination. Discuss thoroughly the increased risks (minimal) and the additional scarring and certainly ask to see a picture of such results on a patient or two. You seem to be realistic in expectations and value the additional improvement the fleur-de-lis gives you in contouring over the increase scars which in a full bathing suit and any type of clothing should be acceptable.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Fleur-de-lis is very effective

+1

It is hard to recommend any one type of tummy tuck procedure with out seeing you and talking to you about your goals and desires.

As a general practice I use a Fleur-de-lis when there is already a mid line scar from a prior surgery. This extended tummy tuck helps to reduce the extra skin laxity and brings in the waist line better than a standard tummy tuck. If you want to avoid the mid line scar and you have lot of skin laxity on the side then I would consider a circumferential tummy tuck.

Congratulations on your great accomplishment and good luck with your body contouring procedure.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Can You Post a Photo ?

+1

Hard to say without seeing you !

Cases 3, 5, and 6 at http://www.drlomonaco.com/forwlp.htm are all paients with a lot of upper abdominal skin excess who I did NOT use a vertical incision on.

A vertical incision does help narrow the waist but adds a lot more scar, plus potential healing problems where the three incisions come together.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS