Is It Possible to Flatten Keloids with Laser Surgery and Stop Recurrence?

I have multiple keloids on my chest. I applied steroid injection, but all recurred. is Laser helpful in flattening them and how to stop them from recurring?

Treatment and Prevention of Keloids

+1
Recurrent keloids are tough to eliminate and often a multi modality of treatments are required. See my below link regarding ways to minimize scarring after removal. If all else fails radiation therapy using a relatively small dose immediately after surgery may be required.

Keloid scars on the chest

+1

In my practice, I see many keloids and this one in particular can be corrected with a combination of IIT, pressure treatment, and laser.  Keloids on the chest are less likely to respond to surgery. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Laser Surgery

+1

Laser can be helpful in some circumstances.  You can request a test spot and see how you respond. Thank you for your question and good luck.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Laser surgery for keloids

+1

There are several lasers that can help flatten keloids to reduce their redness.  The pulsed dye laser is often used in conjunction with cortisone injections into the scars.  Oftentimes, the treatement is repeated at monthly intervals.  Many times the end point is not that the keloid resolves completely, but that it changes to a flatter, less inflamed scar.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD