How Long Do You Leave Your Garment off While Giving Your Stomach a Chance to Breath?

Just wanted to know what is the recommended safe length of time to leave your garment off. It itches and I wanted to give my stomach a brake

Removing garment after surgery

+1

Without knowing which procedure you had done and how many days or weeks you are out from surgery, it is impossible to give you an exact answer.  In addition, most surgeons have their own specific recommendations for wearing compression garments after surgery.  In general, I tell my patients it is fine to remove their garments long enough to shower and wash the garment if necessary.  I agree with the suggestion to wear a cotton shirt under your garment if it is itchy.  I would recommend checking with your PS or with his or her nurse. 

Getting relief from compression garment

+1

In my opinion you could leave it off for a couple hours, especially if your surgery has been over a week ago. You can also try wearing a cotton T-shirt beneath the girdle to help with the itching.

Ronald Schuster, MD

+1

It is best to check with your surgeon about this. If itching is the problem sometimes wearing cotton undergarments under the garment will solve that. All the best. 

Wearing a garment after an abdominoplasty

+1

There are not specific requirements for wearing a garment after surgery.  You plastic surgeon should be able to advise you as to his  protocol.  

Garment questions...

+1

Hello in Louisiana. Most patients are able to get out of the garments each day to shower and perform other hygiene. There's no way to give you a specific recommendations online without knowing the details of your case. I suggest you contact your PS office during regular hours. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD