Surgery to Correct Flat Nose

I have a flat nose. It always reduces my self-steem. What kind of surgery do I need?

Nose surgery for the flat nose

+3

Flat noses are common in many ethnicities.

In general, rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of a flat nose requires augmentation of the nasal skeleton. This can be done in many different ways, and each one has pros and cons.

Augmentation of your nose will require one basic concept. The bridge, and tip need to be augmented with a material that is strong, long lasting, safe, and consistent. In my practice I have found the best material to be cartilage from your own body. Usually, cartilage from your ear, and small amounts from your septum are sufficient. The ear cartilage is chopped into small diced pieces, and wrapped in fascia (covering of muscle) from your temporal muscle. The graft looks like a sausage, and can be used reliably and safely to augment the bridge. Pieces of ear cartilage, and septum cartilage can then be used to augment your tip to allow it to come forward and match with the new bridge.

This procedure is generally done in the operating room with sedation, or general anesthesia. The ear cartilage harvest leaves no visible scars, or changes. The nose portion is done with external approach (an incision is made in the skin between the nostrils).

Some physicians routinely recommend silicone nasal implants for this procedure. The implant provides an easier, faster procedure to be performed, however, as a revision rhinoplasty specialist, I have seen complications from the implants that could have been avoided with autologous tissue such as cartilage and fascia from your own body.

Good luck.

Surgery to Correct Flat Nose

+2

A rhinoplasty with a rib graft if you want a lot of definition, if not a regular rhinoplasty will give you good results.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

rhinoplasty to correct a flat nose

+1
 The rhinoplasty procedure  can augment the flattened nasal bridge and is usually accomplished by adding an implant along the bridge line. There are many different implants that can be used, however  the options  include Silastic, nasal cartilage, rib cartilage. 

Flat nose on top. Options?

+1

This is a very common finding.  Often one can augment the area.  There is a variety of materials that can be used, (silicone sheeting, patient's cartilage, etc;).

Seek out an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or otolaryngologist (ENT).  Together, you will come up with an appropriate plan.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Enhancement

+1

Flat noses can be enhanced by implants to raise the bridge and tip. This can be done using implants or cartilage. I would seek out a skilled surgeon that has performed many Asian and ethnic rhinoplasty procedures and have a consultation. You will be able to see morphed pictures of your own nose, find out about implant options and find a doctor that best fits you and your unique goals.
Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dorsal Augmenation for Asian Rhinoplasty Patients

+1

Patients with a low bridge (dorsum), such as Asian or African American patients, can benefit from having their bridge built up (dorsal augmentation). This produces a nose that is better balance with the rest of the face and can correct the appearance of a flat bridge.

Options for dorsal augmentation include synthetic implants, such as solid silicone, or can be achieved using the patient's own cartilage. In some cases, a rib graft is necesssary to achieve the desired results. Check with your surgeon to find out which one is right for you.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correction of a flat nasal dorsum

+1

A flat nose is generally caused by lack of structure in the upper and middle portions of the nose. To correct this, you may need to have a dorsal nasal implant put in place. This implant can either be from your own cartilage or from an artificial source such as Gortex. Your surgeon can discuss each of these options with you and give you advice as to which would be the best to use in your case.

Henry Daniel Sandel IV, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon