Can Flat Ears Be Lifted?

My ears are pushed back to an extent that a person facing me can hardly see them, unless of course I sit at an angle. My question is what is the procedure for jacking to make it stick out a little? Second part of my question is can ears be lifted up, like literally up away from the shoulders/neck, because I feel the ears are positioned low? Any thought will be highly appreciated.

Ear Lift With Reverse Otoplasty

+2

The reverse of a traditional setback otoplasty is only rarely done when it is overcorrected. This involves releasing the cartilage of the antihelical fold and stenting it with a cartilage graft taken from the concha. This will open up the antihelical fold and make the helix more prominent to some degree. Lifting the ear up can be done suspending the upper cartilage framework to the temporalis fascia . Its lifting effect is only moderate as the concha and the ear canal are the tethering points for the ear cartilage framework. Whether either of these otoplasty procedures are appropriate for you would depend on a picture analysis.

That is an unusual question.

+2

We don't get many calls for making the ears more prominent but it is possible to add cartilage grafts behind the ears to push them away from the head, so you can see them from the front. Actually moving the ears to a higher location is problematic as it would disrupt the ear canal continuity and it really is not a good idea.

Bala S. Chandrasekhar, MD - RETIRED

Yes, Flat Ears can be Lifted

+1

Yes, flat ears can be lifted. 

Their are a variety of otoplasty techniques that can lift the ear away from the head, make the more curves in the ear that can be performed under local anesthesia in the office.

some of these otoplasty procedures involve the release of the ears and the use of local skin flaps or skin grafts.

I suggest that you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can advise you on your otoplasty treatment options.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Ear Repositioning

+1

Otoplasty is a procedure that usually takes "prominent ears" (sticking out) and repositions them closer to the scalp; this may also include recreating some of the delicate cartilage structures located on the surface of the ear.  Without pictures it is difficult to be specific; has  there been previous surgery?   With the use of cartilage grafts, the ear could be projected further away from the scalp; as for actually moving the ears "up", this would be difficult because of the ear canal, and not a good idea.  I would see an experienced plastic surgeon and review your options

Jerry Lugger, MD

Ear Lift

+1

Without pictures, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  However, in most cases, there are improvements that can be made, but he procedure is customized to the individual patient.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD