FLAP with Implants?

I had lumpectomy 10-11, chemo and 30 rads. Tumor in 6 oclock position. Was only small 36B. I now have bird beak, as there is nothing left below nipple tumor was 4cm x 2cm x3.7 cm. Fat graft failed. MD wants to do completion mx and flap. Can abd flap be combined with implants to both sides to create larger breast.

Breast reconstruction

+1

Your question is complex and incomplete.  A picture would be helpful.  I am not willing to give an answer to your question in light of the incomplete and confusing information.  Get another opinion if you are uncertain of your options.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Flaps and Implants can be used to correct lumpectomy and mastectomy deformity

+1

Although I don't know why your fat grafting failed I suspect you did not actually have external expansion.  The BRAVA device helps prepare the tissue for fat grafting.  This can be helpful in a number of situations.  It takes even longer when the area to be fat grafted has been radiated and has scarring.  Also flaps of tissue like the DIEP, TUG and SGAP can be used to reconstruct the breast.  Implants can be used with any of these flaps but in the majority of instances are not necessary.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Options in breast reconstruction

+1

There are many options available to you when considering breast reconstruction surgery.  In many cases the radiation to the breast and skin causes problems therefore a flap either from the back,  LD flap or the abdomen TRAM can be considered with the possible use of tissue expanders and or implants.  

Breast Reconstruction with Implants and Flap

+1

There are so many options in breast reconstruction at this point.  If need additional tissue to cover the implant on the irradiated side, tissue from almost part of the body can be transferred.

Breast recostruction

+1

The issue of what type of reconstruction would be best for you really depends upon your goals and anatomy. Autologous( your own tissue) reconstruction is certainly the best. Combinations of implants and autologous may be necessary for some individuals, but it is not very common.  Best to be seen in person.